Anybody raises fishes?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm very frustrated that some of my fishes die within a couple of days of bacteria infection. I tried my best to keep the aquarium clean as possible. I'm hoping rest of my fishes will live longer. I can't no longer trust my local aquarium stores now in these days. I have no idea where I can buy fishes, perhaps, order in the internet and have them ship to my house? I assume it is not a good alternative.

I'm very frustrated that some of my fishes die within a couple of days of bacteria infection. I tried my best to keep the aquarium clean as possible. I'm hoping rest my fishes will live longer. I can't no longer trust my local aquarium stores now in these days. I have no idea where I can buy fishes, perhaps, order in the internet? I assume it is not a good alternative.

I'd start by tearing the aquarium completely down and cleaning/disinfecting everything. If possible replace the gravel completely, as well as any thing like plastic plants or decorations - toss the old stuff out if you can. Then set up again, buy a few cheap "feeder" goldfish from your local pet store and see how they fare in the new environment.

Have you tried ringing your 2 month old nephew? He might be able to help

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If they die, use them for bait.

Fresh or salt water aquarium?

I don't currently have a tank but had one (tropical, fresh) forever and ever. Are you sure it's bacteriological? Not chemical? Fish are very sensitive to the water (duh) and a build up of ammonia or other chemistry as a natural part of the ecosystem could be the culprit?

Fresh or salt water aquarium?

I don't currently have a tank but had one (tropical, fresh) forever and ever. Are you sure it's bacteriological? Not chemical? Fish are very sensitive to the water (duh) and a build up of ammonia or other chemistry as a natural part of the ecosystem could be the culprit?

These are freshwater or tropical fishes. The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are a little above zero. I try to do 10% water changes every other day to keep these zero. Most of the fishes had rotten fins or tore fins. I use the medication on everyday for about ten days, and it heals them. One fish has ich, so I set the heater nearly 86 degree for about ten days and hopefully the bacteria will be killed.

Last edited:
If you have any levels of ammonia or nitrite your tank is not fully cycled with a healthy bacteria bed.Ammonia and nitrites are toxic even low levels are stressful and will lead to sickness and death.When a tank is fully cycled with a heathy bacteria bed you should only have Nitrates that are none toxic but can be if levels not kept in check.Ideally 5 - 10 PPM is great but very rarely can a tank be kept that low unless you do huge water changes like 50 percent a week. More common is around 2o PPM with weekly water changes at least 10-20 percent a week but try to keep the water close to the same temps and removing any cooper,chloramine or chlorine before adding new tank water to the aquarium.

Also excellent filtration is key,You want a good chemical,mechanical and biological filtration. Under cabinet design filtration is very good but require more maintenance then say (HOG) hang on back filters. Aqua clear formally owned by Hagen now Fluval is one of the best if not the best HOG filters.Pack them with Bio media like noodles but only rinse with old aquarium water or de-chlorinated water so you don't kill the beneficial bacteria bed on the media.

And I one more thing I forgot to mention and the hardest part of aquarium ownership is to not overstock.

Last edited:
When adding new fish, Do Not pour the water that comes with the fish into the tank. Get the best filter(s) you can afford. It is all about filtration.

Very Good Point Gary A.

I had a very successful marine aquarium in my basement and from all the water changes and little spills here and there it started eat my concrete floor and was getting all powdery. I decided to pack it in after a year or so and go back to fresh water so I turned In the one fish I had for credit a 16 inch Black Volitan Lion Fish. The shop owners daughter was covering that day and just dumped the fish straight into the stores marine aquarium no acclimation and no regard to what the fish I was turning in. My friend was the owner of the shop called me a few days latter and was pissed at his daughter because my lion fish eat everything in his aquarium. LOL

I've had all types and sizes of aquariums from large to small of both salt and fresh. I've packed up all the indoor stuff and now just enjoy the koi pond in the backyard. I still have fond memories of my Nanocube, a square foot of ocean on my desk.

Just curious, do the catfish in the pond out back count as raising fish? They ain't pretty to look at, but when they get between 3 & 5 pounds they make some dandy eating.
smileys-fish-430558.gif

Theres something fishy about this whole thread! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back