Anyone bought a cheap compact recently

Sark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All.

My mother wants to buy her granddaughter a digital compact for Xmas. Just wondered if anyone has bought a cheap compact recently (£60 - £80 about $120). There are plenty of 8mp models by Fuji, Nikon and Canon available at the moment, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just looking for suggestions for something simple with decent quality output. The last compact I bought (years ago) was a 2mp Canon A60 that cost more than a D40 kit costs today. If anyone has bought a cheapo recently and is happy with the quality, I would be interested to know which model.

Cheers

Sark

I had a Nikon Coolpix 8mp camera not too long ago and I wasn't too impressed. Day pictures were awesome, but any low light was horrible. I know most P&S are bad in low light, but the pictures were worse than other P&S. And it has this really annoying 5x flash when it takes pictures.

The Canon Powershot series seems to be pretty good. They range from $160-$200 (Canadian funds), so you might be able to find one in your price range.

A friend has a Canon Powershot SD1100 IS 8.0mp. I believe its called a digital Elph. It has Image Stabilization. She bought it for approx $175 (canadian funds) which is approx $145 in US dollars.

While these types of cameras have limitations in many many aspects, going cheaper with a $70 Casio or something is not worth the money IMO. Although if thats your budget and you are ok with long wait times between pictures, poor night, decent day, lack of features, no image stab, because it fits your budget, then thats fine.

I suggest looking into the Panasonic Lumix lineup. I have the FX35 which is above your budget, but you should be able to find a cheaper model that still have the mega OIS and 6mp (all you should need) and possibly even wide angle lens for close to what you want to spend and I think they'll do better in low light than most compact Canons (in my experience they have at least).

I just got a Canon Powershot 1100 (or something like that). It was on sale for $179 CDN. It seams to work well but I haven't even off loaded the photos off of the card yet so I don't really know what type of quality they will be.

Thanks for the replies.

I know the budget won't buy very much, but she's at that Use & Abuse (or Lose) age, so it would be a waste to spend much more anyway. Just hoping to get a simple camera with decent quality above that on her mobile.
I'll probably try a Fuji, never did like the quality of my Canon, particularly (as mentioned) in low light.

Thanks again

Sark

Most reactions

Back