Anyone can do this job

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by bigalbest, Nov 25, 2008.

1. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm on an unrelated forum about off-road motorsports and came across this post in an employment forum. I guess I don't want to trash this guys thread about him looking for work, but this just gets me when people make claims like this. I also happen to know for a fact that this particular person is not a very skilled photographer and just recently purchased their first dslr, a Canon Rebel. Am I out of line being angry about this?

"Hey all, many know me, some don't. My name is Doug and I'm a semi-employed guy trying to feed the family and pay bills. The reason for this post is to try to get more side work in the general area of Phoenix, AZ. My part-time job won't pay all the bills and after applying to hundreds of jobs over the past 4 months I am feeling the crunch of this bad economy.

So I'm looking for side jobs. I have been doing many side jobs lately for GD.com members and all that I have worked for have seemed to have thought I did a great job at a fair price. I hope that lends me some credibility.

What can I do you ask?

My specialty is turning wrenches. I can do routine service, repairs, or assembly on your buggy, quad, bike, UTV, car, truck, motorhome, tractor, lawn mower, weed eater, etc. If it has moving parts I can service or repair it. When I worked for LA County I worked on water lines, both steel, PVC, and others, from one inch diameter to 15 inch. I worked on pumps, conveyor belts, massive gear drives, etc. I don't do welding but if you need welding I can refer you to someone that will give you a great deal as well.

Aside from vehicles I can and am happy to do many other jobs/tasks. I have over six years of experience as a professional photographer. I will take photos of anything you want (that is legal ) and do it just as well as any other pro, but at a fraction of the cost. As an example my sister hired a "professional wedding photographer" for her wedding and my photos were WAY better than his. Not bragging, just saying I know how to take photos and I CARE. If you have a wedding or other special event coming up, let me give you the best photos you could imagine for a very fair price! I'm also available for dune photo shoots, something I have a lot of experience in. If you want that "perfect" shot of you in the dunes to hang on your wall, I'm your man.

I also went to school for three years training to be a residential electrician. So while I am not currently a licensed electrician, I certainly know my stuff.

Honestly though, I am seriously willing to do anything in this economy. Need your RV waxed? I'll do it. Need an acre of land cleared of brush? No problem. I can wash your car, wash your dog , dig a ditch, pour concrete, trim trees, paint walls, do framing, do drywall, do roofing, etc.

I have experience in all of the above.

Now the big question is, how much do I charge?

I'm flexible on that, within reason.

Most buggy or auto shops charge at least $75 an hour. I come to you and I charge $25 an hour.

Residential electrical prices are per job, not per hour, please PM me for details.

Other jobs are negotiable for price.

Thanks for reading this and considering me for some side work."

2. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not really worth getting pissed off about, everything about this post screams mediocrity. The only people who will pay this guy are people looking to spend the least amount of money no matter the cost in quality.

3. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're probably right, I just cringe when I think of what kind of pictures this guy will produce.

4. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can do brain surgery. Any one can. But unless I'm drinking, I have the shakes and you may too when you wake up.

:-|

5. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    The guy just sounds hungry to me. There but for the Grace of God, go we all.

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let it slide, that's just a man looking to get through some lean times.
    At some point in our lives we all either are going to be there, or have been there.

7. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good point Jerry, I think that's exactly why I held back. This guy is just trying anything to get by. I guess I should lighten up a little.

8. Synnove

Synnove TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just feel sorry for him. I know I haven't been able to find a job since April. My husband's job takes care of us so I haven't had to resort to something like this though.

I really feel for this guy. He may not be a pro but he seems like an honest, hard working individual.

9. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been there and done that.....

When it comes to keeping a roof over your head and/or feeding your family, you'll try anything.

In the end, the results will speak for themselves... but I do hope the guy finds something.

10. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    To me, that post seems a bit unprofessional. Pros never go to a Tesco's looking for a job, then say to the manager "Oh, by the way, I can take great photos as well", no matter how desperate they are. But as other people said, unless he's getting all your customers, it's not worth worrying about.

11. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think he's just trying to put bread on the table. The "red text" is only writers' embellishment as a means to that end. Probably not the best delivery for professional sales, but we don't know his target market either.

12. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    He would probably have better luck posting each type of work separately, showing more of a specialty, rather than a "jack of all trades", but I have no doubt that he can do all of the above, as long as a portfolio or references speak highly of his work.

I personally have done automotive work, I can put a new VW, or Mazda rotary motor in your buggy, I do occasional electrical work for friends, and I'm not too bad behind the camera either. I have just acquired these skill, through my daily hobbies, jobs, and do-it yourself projects, probably the same way that he has.

I doubt that he will take away work from established pros, rather he will fill a lower demand gap caused by our current economy. Just like when My niegbor gives me $40 bucks to replace her brakes, I dont feel bad for taking away buisness from Dobbs, I'm just filling a different market that couldent afford dobds anyway and would just have to rack up a higher credit card making the econnomy worse in the long run.