Anyone collecting digital cameras that took famous photos?

chris jordan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey peeps, greetings from Seattle, got a camera collector's question:

Does anyone know of a collector who is collecting digital cameras that took well known photographs? Maybe I'm not famous enough to do this, or maybe I need to be dead first lol, but my Phase One rig took all of my photos in the last 8 years including the plastic-filled dead birds on Midway Island, which have reached a global audience and won a couple of fairly respectable prizes (Sierra Club's Ansel Adams Award for Photography and Prix Pictet Commission in Paris).

The new 100MP cameras are so expensive that I can't otherwise afford one, so I'm hoping there might be a way to maximize the value of my existing rig. Any helpful thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

cheers,

~chris jordan

www.chrisjordan.com
www.midwayfilm.com

Attachments

• 0031.jpg
    0031.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 223
I can't see anyone collecting digital cameras because they will never go up in value

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yeh I wonder if there's something fundamentally different about digital cameras that way. But maybe someone would have said the same thing about wooden Deardorff's back in the day? Most of those are worth nothing today either, but the one that shot "Moonrise Hernandez" might be worth more to someone. Not that my dead albatrosses are Moonrise Hernandez LOL, no one is buying prints of my photos but maybe the camera has some value. : ) ~cj

I'm not up to speed on the art world, so can't comment on that. But I would think a camera that took a famous historical photo might have some value. The images would need to be recognizable by lays people, not just art/photography enthusiasts. And only a long period of time will tell which photos will be remembered. In other words, the photo needs to stand the test of time. Like the camera that took the photo of the flag raising on Iwo Jima I could see being worth something. Probably not much. And if the camera that took the photo on Iwo Jima doesn't sell for big bucks, I doubt there are many digital cameras with collectors value.

Just my opinion from a non-expert.

I can't see anyone collecting digital cameras because they will never go up in value

I do, I just picked up a Sony Mavica for $3.

I would imagine a camera previously owned and used by Ansel Adems, Henri Cartier-Bresson or Annie Leibovitz may possibly command a premium but for the most part I can't imagine anyone paying extra because of the photos a camera may have taken.

I would imagine a camera previously owned and used by Ansel Adems, Henri Cartier-Bresson or Annie Leibovitz may possibly command a premium but for the most part I can't imagine anyone paying extra because of the photos a camera may have taken.
We are talking film cameras now, I use Leica M film cameras one of them is a 70 year anniversary M4P if it had belonged to HCB it wold be worth a lot of money

That Sony is probably worth $1 now [emoji3]

Surprisingly eBay says otherwise, I could probably get $15 for it. :biglaugh:
I would give you sweet FA

Come on now Gary the Digital VS Film war ended years ago - move with the times ;)

Digital hold little resale value now because, barring a few very limited edition firsts there's basically no interest. The same for pretty much anything mass produced close to its release time. Things gain value as they get older and older and rarer and rarer. I certainly know poeple who pay a LOT and collect old computer games and computer consoles - many mass produced but now rare to get in good condition.

Give it 50 years and maybe a 5D in good condition with a working set of shutter curtains might hold some value for those interested. Right now though its a non-issue and honestly you'd have to be a HUGE name for someone to want to own the stuff you'd used - or at least to want to pay more than market value for it.

Surprisingly eBay says otherwise, I could probably get $15 for it. :biglaugh:
I would give you sweet FA

That's OK, because it isn't for sale anyway, it looks quite good sitting next to my Kodak disc cameras.

Come on now Gary the Digital VS Film war ended years ago - move with the times ;)

Digital hold little resale value now because, barring a few very limited edition firsts there's basically no interest. The same for pretty much anything mass produced close to its release time. Things gain value as they get older and older and rarer and rarer. I certainly know poeple who pay a LOT and collect old computer games and computer consoles - many mass produced but now rare to get in good condition.

Give it 50 years and maybe a 5D in good condition with a working set of shutter curtains might hold some value for those interested. Right now though its a non-issue and honestly you'd have to be a HUGE name for someone to want to own the stuff you'd used - or at least to want to pay more than market value for it.
It's not film v digital it's just that some makes of film cameras are worth good money because they still work and don't need batteries, digital cameras become obsolete very quickly

Last edited:
Hey peeps, greetings from Seattle, got a camera collector's question:

Does anyone know of a collector who is collecting digital cameras that took well known photographs? Maybe I'm not famous enough to do this, or maybe I need to be dead first lol, but my Phase One rig took all of my photos in the last 8 years including the plastic-filled dead birds on Midway Island, which have reached a global audience and won a couple of fairly respectable prizes (Sierra Club's Ansel Adams Award for Photography and Prix Pictet Commission in Paris).

The new 100MP cameras are so expensive that I can't otherwise afford one, so I'm hoping there might be a way to maximize the value of my existing rig. Any helpful thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

cheers,

~chris jordan

www.chrisjordan.com
www.midwayfilm.com

Pardon me for asking but were those plastic bits really eaten by the birds or did someone simply stuff the junk into the bodies of already dead birds before the photos were taken? I ask this because, in reviewing the internal anatomy of birds, it makes it hard for me to imagine that the birds managed to nearly fill their entire internal body volume (like a piñata) including the space occupied by all their internal organs with this junk before dying. That is, it doesn't seem physically or biologically possible.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back