Anyone else have performance issues with Lightroom?

Oh but I am. Ever since I moved the catalog to my SSD, Lightroom has been running smooth.

It may be working better then you experienced before but it is NOT working as good as it should be especially compared to apps like Capture One

Well it's working good enough for me.

here's how I know lightroom is bad.

Braineack takes a one week long vacation with his wife. Takes a bunch of pictures.

Spends the next weekend frustratingly going to through pictures. Wifey comes in and says I'd like to see them and we start cycling through. Wifey gets annoyed that she has to wait 5-10sec between pictures for them to render the preview. Braineack suggests "let me render all the previews so they'll all load faster." "okay!" "come back in 45min when those are finished so we can just cycle through images..." "nevermind I dont want to see them, it doesnt matter anymore I have some on my cell phone"

next time I shoot, ill probably start saving jpg copies...

I don't have the greatest rig, but I have a decent one.

I have a FX8320 8core CPU overclocked to 4.0Ghz. 32GB of DDR3 RAM, catalog and app sit on a 500GB SSD, R9 390 GPU w/8GB.

Using GPU acceleration only makes the app slower and crash.

LR simply cant take advantage of multiple cores, and every benchmark I see out there shows that more cores actually makes it run worse. I saw one test where they ran LR using (2) 10-core CPUs and LR operations were 30% slower than a single 4-core. Otherwise I'd have gone with the i7-6950X.

Your core is closely matched to mine, but accels over mine significantly in single core operations, so I could see where you might be okay.

I'll try this new CPU/MB/RAM combo I bought, and see how it reacts, but I don't see adobe putting any effort into developing a modern app, so I have a feeling I'll be jumping ship... I really don't feel like waiting 4-5 seconds after I move a slider to see the change.

Last edited:
here's how I know lightroom is bad.

Braineack takes a one week long vacation with his wife. Takes a bunch of pictures.

Spends the next weekend frustratingly going to through pictures. Wifey comes in and says I'd like to see them and we start cycling through. Wifey gets annoyed that she has to wait 5-10sec between pictures for them to render the preview. Braineack suggests "let me render all the previews so they'll all load faster." "okay!" "come back in 45min when those are finished so we can just cycle through images..." "nevermind I dont want to see them, it doesnt matter anymore I have some on my cell phone"

next time I shoot, ill probably start saving jpg copies...

I don't have the greatest rig, but I have a decent one.

I have a FX8320 8core CPU overclocked to 4.0Ghz. 32GB of DDR3 RAM, catalog and app sit on a 500GB SSD, R9 390 GPU w/8GB.

Using GPU acceleration only makes the app slower and crash.

LR simply cant take advantage of multiple cores, and every benchmark I see out there shows that more cores actually makes it run worse. I saw one test where they ran LR using (2) 10-core CPUs and LR operations were 30% slower than a single 4-core. Otherwise I'd have gone with the i7-6950X.

Your core is closely matched to mine, but accels over mine significantly in single core operations, so I could see where you might be okay.

I'll try this new CPU/MB/RAM combo I bought, and see how it reacts, but I don't see adobe putting any effort into developing a modern app, so I have a feeling I'll be jumping ship... I really don't feel like waiting 4-5 seconds after I move a slider to see the change.

That's bizarre. I can browse through a folder of 1,000 raw images and the previews load instantly and they are just standard renders. I can make changes via the adjustment panels in developed and they are instant. The only thing that lags is the spot healing tool.

I am also using GPU acceleration, but I have a Nvidia graphics card and not a Radeon and it never crashes.

Maybe Lightroom just doesn't work well with AMD chips?

Did you try completely refreshing the installation of Lightroom? Clear all the cache?

Braineack--how many total images in the current LR catalog? I noticed that after a mere 75,000 images, LR seemed to become laggy.

Braineack--how many total images in the current LR catalog? I noticed that after a mere 75,000 images, LR seemed to become laggy.

And then you have Peter Krogh who has 100,000+ images with no problems.

I have no idea anymore!!

I just spit my catalog down -- so only images from 2014 and newer. Cant remember the count, but it didnt seem to help.

Did you try completely refreshing the installation of Lightroom? Clear all the cache?

no, but i just updated to the latest release, and did a clear cache, and gave it 75GB of cache space on my SDD.

I can't recall the specifics, but I'm running an i5 with a GPU
Since windows upgraded/patches for Windows 8.1 LR started hanging all the time.
I had to turn off the GPU now it moves along quickly.

Even with an external USB3 HD image rendering of RAW from D750 or D500 is only a second or two. I think I have 64GB of main memory. And of course I'm not using the GPU anymore which, I think took just as long to render an image.

I also break apart my Catalogs based not only on year but general subject (Air, Space, Sessions, Soccer, etc). So the catalogs are not that large. I think I read a while ago about large catalogs so I broke mine apart when 2017 came along.

I can browse through a folder of 1,000 raw images and the previews load instantly

Thats because you computer has already created the previews. Braineack's example was about how long lightroom takes to create those previews.

wait 5-10sec between pictures for them to render the preview

This is truly how long lightroom takes if it has not already created the preview file.

Speaking from personal experience trying other options other programs DONT take that long.

If only Capture One Pro was less expensive I would switch.

just got the new CPU/MB/RAM setup. LR is running a LOT better.

mind blown:

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/11/adobe-admits-lightroom-slow-says-speeding-top-priority/

In a blog post titled “On Lightroom Performance” and published to Lightroom Journal, Adobe Photo Product Manager Tom Hogarty writes that Adobe isn’t unaware of or ignoring Lightroom’s speed issues:

I would like to address concerns recently voiced by our community of customers around Lightroom performance, as improving performance is our current top priority. We have a history, starting with our first public beta, of working with our customers to address workflow and feature needs, and we’d like to take that same approach regarding your performance concerns. We already understand many of the current pain points around GPU, import performance, certain editing tasks and review workflows and are investing heavily in improving those areas.

Most reactions

Back