Anyone else like SHOOTING with vintage cameras?

chakalakasp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bigstormpicture.com
While I like dSLRs as much as the next photonerd, I've recently gotten into shooting with some vintage cameras. For 35mm I've been shooting with a 1949 Argus C3, and for medium format I've been playing with an old 1948 Kodak Tourist 6x9 folder. The cameras are cheap and were pretty cheap for their time, but then that's why so many amateurs in the 50s cut their teeth shooting with Kodak folders and The Brick.

It's been an interesting experience so far -- I try to put myself in my grandpa's shoes and pretend that I have no lightmeter and have to rely only on the sunny 16 and guesstimation. It's made me think a lot more about exposure and about light -- and in a lot of ways, has given me a newfound respect for the amateur and professional photographers from 60 years ago.

I'm also surprised by the quality of the images put out by these cameras. The Kodak doesn't surprise me as 6x9 is a HUGE negative (at least to me, I'm sure the 11x14 large format shooters will disagree ;)). The Argus surprises me quite a bit, though; it's no Zeiss and it doesn't hold a candle to the IQ of modern SLR lenses, but for a 60 year old piece of cheap glass, it holds its own.

I sprung for a handful of old 5B and 25B flashbulbs today -- can't wait to see how all that works, too.

Anyone else like to take some of the decorative collectors out of the cabinet sometimes and start trying to shoot with them?

A couple Argus shots:

5391734270_137fa60800_o.jpg

(Shot on Kodak 400CN)

5384535509_03037c998e_o.jpg

(Shot on expired Agfa Optima)

And a few from the Kodak Tourist, all on Portra 160NC:

5374806436_c4b6225782_o.jpg

5375722760_c9bed8c6c9_o.jpg

5386176997_c54220d7fc_o.jpg

5391738290_a8343e44db_o.jpg

Yes, I love shooting BW film with the older cameras from my collection. I occasionally shoot with a Kodak Monitor, more so with the Zeiss Super Ikontas. I like the portability of these little wonders. Right now I am shooting a roll of 35mm BW in a Zeiss Contessa, can't wait to finish it and see the results.

Here's a list of cameras that I've given alot of use this year:
Graflex22
ArgusAF
ArgusCS
Brownie Hawkeye Flash
Voightlander Avus
Voightlander Brillant

Yes, I use my vintage camera's.

My two pre WWII Agfa Ansco 108's
Pacemaker Crown, and pre-Anniversary Speed, Graphics
Patent Etui 9x12 cm
1900's Quarter plate & Half plate cameras

oh and my Exacta Varex IIb :D

Ian

Yes, I also enjoy getting out with the vintage cameras like the Kodak Tourist II or the Model 1A. The Ricoh Super Ricohflex is also another fun camera to use.
Am really looking forward to using the E. & H.T. Anthony 5x7 or the Century 81/2 x 61/2 when I finally get those two readied for use this summer or fall.

I enjoy my Canon AE-1 and A-1

I do collect alot of cameras, about any camera I see interesting hehe. Ive got a list of about 25 cameras right now a few dont work, a few the shutter timer is a bit off. But I didn't buy them to just collect, I bought them to use them. Ive only developed from my Yashica FX-3 so far, but there will be plenty more to come. Can't wait to put my box cameras to use. A-8 Cadet, and my brownie.

I enjoy repairing those old cameras and using them to verify my repairs.I always have an Bessamatic and or a Konica Autoreflex T3 with me when I find the time to shoot some film.I don't have too many different lenses for the Voigtlander because of the cost to buy them but I have a few for the Konicas which makes them interesting to use.It is a very rewarding day that I can get my film developed and spend an afternoon scanning the negatives to see what came out of those old works of art that I drooled over when they were new and I can now afford for my very own:).Ron G

From time to time I can be found wandering about the streets of the Big Apple with a Zorki, Kiev or Fed and a pocket full of home-rolled cassettes. Or an Argus C-4, for that matter.

Most of my "vintage" equipment are of Pentax... 67, 645, and 35mm formats. I also occasionally shoot with an M3 with a set of 35mm, 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm lenses from the same time period.

Unfortunately, the convenience of digital paired with lack of time, means I'm using them less. What I am doing a lot of these days using the the vintage LENSES on modern digital cameras. For the most part, their character is maintained.

I use my 4x5 speed graphic for most of my serious shooting, the D700 is just for playing around with. ;)

I am using modern fujinon lenses with the speed, and modern film, so it's hardly "vintage."

I also have a few hundred flash bulbs that I like to play around with--flashbulbs burn for a lot longer and create very nice looking indoor/party shots, as you get a bit of motion blur which makes the photos less sterile looking then the typical strobe.

if you think that the nikon FE and nikon F3 are vintages, yes :)

Yeah, I enjoy shooting some of my vintage cameras from time to time, especially the medium formats:

Mamiya C330
Mamiya RB67
Mamiya 645

I've still got the Nikon F that I cut my SLR teeth on, and like to shoot a roll in it occasionally too. I picked up an Exakta VX500 and a Canon AE1 a few months ago and have been meaning to load them up, and my daughter gave me another Argus C3 for Christmas that's very clean that I want to run a roll through.

I may get to those next weekend, as I'll be on a film-shooting spree with a Hasselblad 500c that should arrive on Wednesday.

All i wanted was a Canon AE-1 but it has turned into a little collection and still building.

dsc002392661479.jpg

Been playing with these recently. I'm new to film (apart from when i was little obviously) so it's been fun, still trying to work things out.

Six-20 Kodak Junior - Going to need to develop these myself.. :)

Olympus Trip

I've also got a Nikormat EL and a few random Fujica something-or-others...

Most reactions

Back