Anyone else suddenly having performance issues with PS and LR

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since the latest update this past week in PS, after processing 3 or 4 images PS starts to get really sluggish. Then it starts to affect LR as well. I've gone through the settings and adjusted memory usage, history, levels, etc. but while it helped a bit it's still giving me fits. I can shut them down and reopen everything works great for awhile.

Yes I have as well! I have 32gb of ram and a 256gb SSD scratch drive and its still extremely painful. I have gone through every online performance tuning tutorial as well as Adobe's recommendations and still have yet to find a solution. It very aggravating especially when I keep seeing people say how much performance has improved.

While observing the activity monitor on my mac I can see at the worst times i'm only hitting about 40% of my available CPU and memory resources. What gives?

Ill also echo your experience. Closing out all adobe programs and restating does indeed help for a bit.

Mine has been running great, but I’m also on a 3 week old MacBook Pro so that may be a factor.

I'm almost afraid to say anything for fear it will quit working again, but I went in and changed the following settings in General Preferences;
  1. Let PS use 62% of ram
  2. History states =12
  3. Cache leves = 3
  4. Cache tile size =128k
It's back to speed again.

I am on a slow windows 8 latop. I3 chip, 1.7hz 4gb ram. So, I never saw an increase in speed with the update to LR classic. When I did the update a couple days ago. I now think it is a little slower. But hard to tell. If LR is doing work in the background like importing. I can't open any other program that also needs moderate to high resources. I am on my backup laptop. My good I7 fast machine threw up it's HD. It was our 2nd HD failure in about 4 months. That laptop however was about 30 months old. I may or may not replace the HD in that laptop. I might just order another new one after the holidays.

I’ve been doing some edits on my MacBook I bought last year and I always use an external hard drive so it’s not like I have tons of memory saved on my laptop but yeah same problem here. I use many layers in some projects since I don’t like doing all my adjustments on one curves layer for example and it’s has started acting slow.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

This morning I hit the wall on memory a couple times. Gave a message saying not enough memory to complete the task, but I had bunch of layers in PS, LR open, and an accounting program. Also I was doing a scale on a layer that had a lot data. This afternoon only PS and LR booted and not as many layers, clearing clipboard in between images, and got through 15 images before it started slowing down. Rebooted PS and it's back up to speed again.

Most reactions

Back