Anyone familiar with the Sigma DSLR with

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by railman44, Jun 12, 2005.

1. railman44

railman44 TPF Noob!

the Foveon X3 sensor? I guess it's not the conventional single layer CCD or CMOS sensor. The Foveon sensor is layered. From what I've read, it only shoots RAW. The camera rating is 3.4 effective megapixels but with the layering system the Foveon sensor has 10 million color capturing spots. Anyone own or have experience with one of these?

2. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

Never used it but I read the review on dpreview.com of it and wasn't impressed with the results of the testing.

3. lazarus219

lazarus219 TPF Noob!

i'd also be interested if anyone has experience with this camera, ive never actually seen it but it seemed like a well featured camera for the price,

4. Rod-UK

Rod-UK TPF Noob!

I have had the SD9 for about a year now and get on with it very well.

The drawbacks are;
    (i) its greedy on batteries, you would need several sets of rechargables.

(ii) You have to download to the computer using Sigma software, and compared to the 'others' may seem a bit long winded in the first instance.

On the plus side;
    The Sigma Photo Pro software I find very good, its possible to adjust Exposure; contrast; shadow; highlight; saturation; sharpness: very easily and with immediate effect. And would take much, much longer using PS

The resolution is exellent, unless you want to print large size pics, you can leave the camera on medium which produces very good A4 prints

Any further questions feel free to ask