Anyone got the 7200 yet?

Seventen

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since November I have been considering the 7100 but kept putting it of in hopes of the 7200 coming out. Now its out and has some nice features that I think is much better than the 7100, but people keep saying its a bad upgrade from the 7100s features.

I still use a Nikon 5100 and I used the 7200 today for about 40 minutes testing all my lenses on it and oh wow it blew my mind how good it was, but this is being compared to a much older camera.

What I am trying to figure out here is is the Nikon 7200 priced at 1100 euros a wise move to make or should I settle for the older 7100 priced at 900 euros. In my mind the 7200 wins it for me, but I have never tried a 7100.

What I am hoping is if anyone here has tried both of them or if someone who has the Nikon 7200 could give there thoughts on it. I have seen plenty about the 7100 but not many about the 7200 and the ones that are about are complaining about the minor upgrades being too little, no 4k, no touch screen etc..

After playing with it today I feel like I am in love for the first time again it really was amazing for me.

Thank you,

If you've spent time shooting it and feel that it is the best for you, go for it. What others think don't matter. It's what YOU think and the images that you produce with them.

If you are happy with it, then you are going to get out and shoot with it.

Enjoy it.

up grades aren't worth much unless you are a bird shooter hammering down on it enjoying the buffer space difference. imo it seems primarily a bird/sport shooter camera. I dont have the 7200 i have the 7100. Which is okay, for what it is. i have thought the lowlight iso noise sucked since i bought it though. The 610 for a few hundred extra might be worth the money depending on what you shoot.

up grades aren't worth much unless you are a bird shooter hammering down on it enjoying the buffer space difference. imo it seems primarily a bird/sport shooter camera. I dont have the 7200 i have the 7100. Which is okay, for what it is. i have thought the lowlight iso noise sucked since i bought it though. The 610 for a few hundred extra might be worth the money depending on what you shoot.
This is the first time I've seen the word "sucked" associated with the 7100, so this might be the most valuable post on the camera for me, since I was looking forward to better low light shots. I'm in the same situation as Seventen, shooting with a 5100, which I mostly love, with Nikon 18-200, 10-24, 35 1.8 and the 18-55, and I was planning on upgrading to the 7100 now that the 7200 is out. How much of loss of quality would there be shooting my DX lenses on the 610 in DX mode compared to the 5100? I'd add FX glass if I got the 610, but wouldn't want to give up the lenses I have. More advice appreciated.

Since you have DX lenses you are happy with I'd go for the newer camera. The d7200 will likely be the flagship DX camera for a year or two. Why not have the best if you can actually afford it?

This is the first time I've seen the word "sucked" associated with the 7100, so this might be the most valuable post on the camera for me, since I was looking forward to better low light shots. I'm in the same situation as Seventen, shooting with a 5100, which I mostly love, with Nikon 18-200, 10-24, 35 1.8 and the 18-55, and I was planning on upgrading to the 7100 now that the 7200 is out. How much of loss of quality would there be shooting my DX lenses on the 610 in DX mode compared to the 5100? I'd add FX glass if I got the 610, but wouldn't want to give up the lenses I have. More advice appreciated.
Using Nikon DX Lenses on FX Cameras

this explains it better than i could.

I'd say spend the ~200 now and get the camera that you waited for and were impressed with. That ~200 will be a lot easier to appreciate when the 7300 comes out and you're shooting with the last model instead of the even older 7100. Just my .02

Thanks for the fast replies.

The low light performance means a lot to me as I shoot in woodland areas, the 5100 really would never get a decent shot above ISO 800. I only used the 7200 in the shop but had a chance to use all my lenses on it and even the wife was like wow the images are so much clearer and detailed over some of my others ones. I really do think it is the camera for me and yes would be nice for once in my life to own something that is actually so new it can't get out dated for almost 2 years.

I did plan on setting out on its my choice and I will choose but searching the internet got the better of me and found myself reading negative points. (The wife and I talk about this often we have a one year old son and search the net often about behaviour and suggestions on a good diet etc. You only ever to seem to find negative comments as those happy rarely post about it, so maybe the same here)

The 610 in my mind is out of the question, I do like to have the extra reach from the DX line. The 610 really don't feel like a big jump up like the 7100 or 7200, maybe I am wrong people will see me as an blind idiot for missing some big details. But if I was going FX I would want to jump into a mid ranged model.

I will make a purchase tomorrow but which one still not decided but I am favouring the 7200 at the moment. I will keep searching tonight and looking through images people have taken with it.

I know the post might seem pointless to some people as my mind should have taken the 7200 today but thats a lot of money for me so getting some more opinions is quite nice.

On cameras: owners of OLDER models are very,very quick to take to the internet to proclaim that the new model they cannot afford is "not much of an improvement", for all who will listen. Keep that in mind.

The low light performance means a lot to me as I shoot in woodland areas, the 5100 really would never get a decent shot above ISO 800. I only used the 7200 in the shop but had a chance to use all my lenses on it and even the wife was like wow the images are so much clearer and detailed over some of my others ones. I really do think it is the camera for me and yes would be nice for once in my life to own something that is actually so new it can't get out dated for almost 2 years.

I did plan on setting out on its my choice and I will choose but searching the internet got the better of me and found myself reading negative points. (The wife and I talk about this often we have a one year old son and search the net often about behaviour and suggestions on a good diet etc. You only ever to seem to find negative comments as those happy rarely post about it, so maybe the same here)

The 610 in my mind is out of the question, I do like to have the extra reach from the DX line. The 610 really don't feel like a big jump up like the 7100 or 7200, maybe I am wrong people will see me as an blind idiot for missing some big details. But if I was going FX I would want to jump into a mid ranged model.

I will make a purchase tomorrow but which one still not decided but I am favouring the 7200 at the moment. I will keep searching tonight and looking through images people have taken with it.

I know the post might seem pointless to some people as my mind should have taken the 7200 today but thats a lot of money for me so getting some more opinions is quite nice.

yeah man, no matter which way you go that's some serious coin and deserves some consideration. I do believe either camera would be quite suitable but you will have to decide wether its worth the difference in price.

Given the choice id get the d7200, but factoring cost I might yield to d7100.

using tapatalk.

I don't know why you aren't getting usable shots above iso 800 on your d5100. If you find my thread today on my focusing rail, the pictures I took of the rail on and off the camera were taken with a nikon 1 J3 at 10 mm ISO 3200 and they cleaned up nicely with a little noise reduction in LR. The nikon 1 has a cx size sensor, smaller than a m4/3 sensor and much smaller than your APS-C sensor.
The trick is to make sure your exposure is right. 3200 with good exposure is better than 800 that's underexposed.

If i can get usable shots with my J3 at iso 3200, i have no doubt you can with your D5100

someone posted on here a couple times now a website that you can punch in the camera model and it compares noise levels at various isos. That could come in useful unfortunately i cant find it.

The D7200 is an upgraded D7100, the D7100 is already an excellent camera but its not perfect, it main issue was the small buffer, for me it was a non issue, even in sport shooting with some practice 6 shot buffer is enough but I am sure now the much bigger buffer will be a welcome improvement.
Image quality should be very close, low light performance looks like its a huge improvement with 25800 ISO natively but I think this is probably more of a gimmic, my D7100 was good up too 6400 iso but not more then that, I assume the D7200 will improve that but not by much for real world use.
AF is better but to be honest the one on the D7100 is already very good.
It also has some better video capabilities but I never bothered with that so I am not sure how good it is compared to the D7100

Is the D7200 worth the 200 euros is something only you can decide, if you had the D7100 I would say keep the D7100 but you don't but a jump form the D5100 will be a faily big jump.
I would get the D7200 but either way both cameras are very good!

Good luck

It's tough question to pose because people with the 7100 aren't probably running to the stores to buy the 7200. It's an incremental upgrade really. So it would be hard to find someone with extensive use on both cameras let alone the 7200 with how new it is.

I'll mention this though, I just got my D610 after having a D600 and though the specs are mostly the same, I swear there is some extra mojo in the D610 that isn't captured in the specs.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back