anyone have any shooting at night tips for a 7100 because right now

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im thinking this thing is a p.o.s. it isn't doing much better than a p and s . first night I had it out, last night. I felt like throwing the damn thing into the lake (course its frozen so it would have just bounced)

View attachment 68711

I dunno if its me, or the camera. But this sad thing is the BEST image I came out with last night.
Taken at 18mm 6400iso 3.5 1/60 s (slowest I dared to go with no tripod).
in post, I try to bring up the light in this thing using shadow recovery, dlighting, general brightness, exposure and all I get is blotches and NOISE. im looking for ANYTHING to bring the light up. I had noise reduction on when I took it. I cant bring the light up I get NOISE. which is why I avoided the hi settings I didn't want noise figured 6400 was already high.

View attachment 68712

see all the dots around the moon? and I didn't even bring up the light much in this one. noise, noise, noise.
I cant tell if its me, or this thing just flat out sucks in the dark.

bring up the light hahahahahahaha.
it looks like this...

View attachment 68713

like seriously, am I missing something here or is this thing going to need like a ten minute exposure to take a photo of some ****n ice?

Buy a 1.8 prime lens, and it'll serve you better.

one with less noise. hoping to get a little dark purple out of the sky. I could see its potential looking at it. apparently the camera couldn't. I didn't expect it or want it to look like daylight but geez. come on.

here's a tip... buy a tripod.

and here's another... read up on long exposures.

I have a tripod. But is this really that hard of a shot I should need a long exposure on a tripod? REALLY? surrounded by streetlamps, lights on the other side of the lake. full moon. stars out. I could see everything clear as day with my eyes. Not like it was pitch black. I didn't think I was expecting too much here.

I have a tripod. But is this really that hard of a shot I should need a long exposure on a tripod? REALLY? surrounded by streetlamps, lights on the other side of the lake. full moon. stars out. I could see everything clear as day with my eyes. Not like it was pitch black. I didn't think I was expecting too much here.

Yes.

You're wasting your time not using a tripod. Not even the highest end cameras can do a good job in the middle of the night.

Night shot tips:
Use a long shutter speed. Upwards of 30 seconds.
Shoot as high an aperture as possible.
Use low ISO
If possible don't shoot right at night time, dusk makes for a better photo.

TRIPOD. Wider aperture prime. TRIPOD.

But really, there's only so much you can do without a tripod.

Best,
Jake

Don't trust your eyes.
They adjust to the amount of light in your surroundings... I can see just as well on a clouded day as on a sunny day, still there's way more light on a sunny day.

It's dark so you need more light. Either you get your sensor sensitivity (ISO) high up like you did in these shots or you use a long shutter speed.
The high ISO will introduce problems such as extreme noise where-as a long shutter speed can introduce motion blurs.
Seeing as there's not really anything moving in this scene the only possible motion blur would be camera shake. Solution? Tripod.

You're wasting your time not using a tripod. Not even the highest end cameras can do a good job in the middle of the night.

Night shot tips:
Use a long shutter speed. Upwards of 30 seconds.
Shoot as high an aperture as possible.
Use low ISO
If possible don't shoot right at night time, dusk makes for a better photo.
im hearing ya. not liking it. I really thought this would be a easy shot. I feel like im getting screwed. rifle scope can see at night. why cant a damn camera? Especially when it isn't really that dark? I can see, why cant the camera? I was hoping if I stopped carrying around the other bridge camera and got this my night situation (I shoot a lot at night its when I have time) would improve. not so much apparently. technology my azz it is only works for 16 hours out of a 24 hour period.

It's only as good as you let it be.

remember your thread: i will never be a great photographer? your refusal to even TRY to understand and get better is exactly why this situation is pissing you off. Photography is a technical skill and there's a solution to solve you problem and it's easy if you take the 5min to learn.

I know... Right!!!

I have the same problems shooting high school football games under stadium lights. I can see fine!! I don't understand why my camera cant see what i see. Everybody says i need to learn better technique but i know there is something wrong with my camera!

Most reactions

Back