anyone have any shooting at night tips for a 7100 because right now

I've been around cameras for pushing 50 years and I have yet to see one that came with a can of "Instant Ability" included in the box. If you're not going to take the time to learn to use it properly then I'd strongly advise you to sell it. If you don't then at some point you will break it and then all you'll have left is a hole in your bank account.

Blaming a camera for your inabilities is a lot like blaming surgical instruments for killing a patient because you never bothered to go to medical school. Yes, they are perfectly capable of taking fabulous night shots, but not until you take the time to learn how to use them, and more importantly, their limitations and how to work within them.
I was tempted to reply with a smart azz comment about how you must not have read the thread. But . im kind of enjoying your websites. ya know. you're alright. Thanks for the input scott.
Welcome To Scott Craig's Web Site

6400 ISO is pretty high...I'd definitely expect noise....I'd bring it down with a tripod...seems the obvious solution

conditions and quicker access to changing settings and more settings or options.
which probably comes back to, light? seems it all comes back to light. i could have taken a much better photo with a ten dollar disposable camera five hours earlier than the above. Maybe the more you spend on gear, the more of that 24 hour period you are buying and the more "conditions" you are buying that you might be able to get a decent photo out of. They must charge you like a buck a minute you are buying.

NOW are you getting it? "Seems it all comes back to light." Of course it does!

But there are ways of getting more light other than making sure the sun is still up.

Day 291 - Fountain by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Not the greatest thing I've ever done, but it was taken with a point and shoot digital that is FAR less capable than a DSLR. And you can be damn sure it wasn't shot handheld at 1/60 because even a point and shoot is capable of a long enough exposure to get enough light to the sensor for a night shot.

Yes, cameras are limited, BUT you can get a sh*t ton more out of your camera if you learn to work with its limitations.

Get it yet?

conditions and quicker access to changing settings and more settings or options.
which probably comes back to, light? seems it all comes back to light. i could have taken a much better photo with a ten dollar disposable camera five hours earlier than the above. Maybe the more you spend on gear, the more of that 24 hour period you are buying and the more "conditions" you are buying that you might be able to get a decent photo out of. They must charge you like a buck a minute you are buying.

NOW are you getting it? "Seems it all comes back to light." Of course it does!

But there are ways of getting more light other than making sure the sun is still up.

Day 291 - Fountain by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Not the greatest thing I've ever done, but it was taken with a point and shoot digital that is FAR less capable than a DSLR. And you can be damn sure it wasn't shot handheld at 1/60 because even a point and shoot is capable of a long enough exposure to get enough light to the sensor for a night shot.

Yes, cameras are limited, BUT you can get a sh*t ton more out of your camera if you learn to work with its limitations.

Get it yet?
yes. I don't like it. im sure not going to get the photo the way I want, when want and how I want. But I guess there isn't much I can do about it. But to accept it.

While I know that you have a request for specific tips for the D7100, I feel that these threads will help you. Both are excellent resources. Best of luck!

By Sw1tchFX
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/articles-interest/276016-shooting-night-pictures-stars-stuff.html

By Manaheim
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/268879-manaheim-s-ultimate-guide-night-photography.html
ty
I have it outside right now sitting on the hood of the truck looking at stars. 30 minute timer 400 iso. Did the white balance adjustment too. Reading the link, seemed a good place to start?
since it is pretty cold here still. I of course am inside where it is warmer letting it do the work. First attempt at this, well as I said dismal. Maybe this one will go better.

edit"The way Long Exposure Noise Reduction works is that it takes two exposures. your normal exposure, than another exposure for the same length of time so it can subtract the noise pattern from the exposed image. So, if you have a 20 minute exposure, you've got 20 minutes of LENR, meaning you need to wait 40 minutes to see if you got the picture right (or wrong)."
umm. yeah. I turned that on too. didn't realize I would be waiting twice as long....

Last edited:
Look forward to seeing the outcome!
I kind of look forward to just getting it done. im a little worried someones going to come along and walk off with the camera. I don't live in the inner city but I don't exactly live in the middle of nowhere either. I don't want to stand out there waiting for it, I know that much.

I blew it. didn't wait long enough apparently. "folder contains no images".
what a pita.
you would think it would beep or light up or something when it was finished..

Wow. I'm amazed at how many people have the patience to try to get the point across while you don't even have the time to wait for the exposure to be done? I guess I have nothing else to add here. All I am seeing is "why/how come this and that..." but you've never really try to understand it. I wish life is easy where everything just comes together for me...

Good luck,

Yes, I think you're right. Every camera in a human generation is essentially the same. You're not happy with the cameras from this generation. Why don't you wait for the next generation and try again?

Sadly, you can't expect good results with a crop sensor camera shooting at ISO 6400, especially if you under expose and try to bring out details in post. You will need very slow shutter speeds and a tripod is a must. But that's a given for any camera if you're trying to shoot in pitch night conditions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back