Anyone have any thoughts on this gear?

They leave out a lot of details like the sizes of the softboxes, umbrella, backdrops, and reflector. Everything in the kit is at minimum usable sizes, power, height, etc.

150 w/s light output is the absolute minimum amount that can work.

I usually recommend 200 w/s as the minimum usable power and 400 w/s as the power level the defines the begining of real lighting control.

The light stands only go up 7 feet, again about the minimum, except the one for lighting a background. Other than background lightstands, I don't have any that go up less than 8 feet and I have several that can go as high as 13 feet.

The backdrops are cotton, not muslin. That means they are like a bed sheet reducing their durability. The size of the backdrops also was not stated.

I would not recommend the kit.

I understand that money is an issue but I wouldn't buy a set consisting out of so many items for that price.

Needless to say that some companies don't even sell one light for that price.

As mentioned by KmH there is not a lot of info provided. Honestly, it's junk.

I promise you will go crazy just with the stands. It's one of the things that need to last a long time and such stands cost you.

What's the point of buying this if you have to start replacing items within the first year?

I'm thinking of learning studio lighting myself. I think it would be best to pick up just one good light and stand with an appropriately sized umbrella and/or soft box and start from there. You could pick up a large foam board to use as a reflector. I see many people do a fine job with just this set up. You can buy additional lights as you grow.

Good point ghpham.

I mentioned this before: If you are interested to learn how to use simply lighting techniques then check out the DVD set from Dean Collins before you buy equipment.

Dean Collins

It will open your eyes what you can achieve with speed lights, natural light and studio strobes.

Start small and build it up but get the right stuff to begin with!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back