anyone have any tokina experience?

Mitch1640

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking into wide angles lenses, their 11-16 and 12-24 are appealing to me. while the 12-24 is a wider range the 11-16 is faster by a stop. what im asking is does anyone know if the 12-24 is optically superior? because id be using this lens outdoors and i dont think id miss the extra stop.

I would say 12-24 as it is constant F4, Nikon quality, and is all around better.

I have the Tokina11-16 and it is a very sharp lens. I also have Canon's 24 -70 f/2.8 I really like the Tokina but the canon i'm not so sure of! The 24 -70 left me lacking in the low light area while the Tokina was quite okay.
I haven't used the Canon that much yet so let that be the caveat!

the 11-16 is constant 2.8 so you have experiance with both lenses alex? im just curious because id like the larger zoom range but im just concerned with IQ and all that other jazz.

I've tried out both lenses, and the 11-16 is definitely my favourite ultra wide angle. I just hate that they haven't brought it out in pentax mount yet *mutters*

I have the Tokina 11-16 in Nikon flavor comming in 5 days (stupid weekend in the way). I looked all over and the Tokina scored better than Nikon and Sigma ultrawides (more than just KR's praise). I have an older Tokina 300 2.8 and its built very well. So I believe the 11-16 will be up to par. Alot of the reviewers mention the shorter zoom range probably helps the Tokina to better control aberations and such. I was leaning towards the Sigma (price lower), but its a bit slower, and noticed they have a new model comming out that I think will be a constant aperature of 3.5. So they are picking up the speed a little bit as well. I think Nikon is a little behind in the super wide lens group. Canon's ultra wide has had a good following and would probably be the better lens for that Camera flavor. For me the Tokina won out. Will see in 5 days.

im really just conserned with tokinas 11-16 and their 12-24. can you write some sort of review on the 11-16 when you get it in ben?

im really just conserned with tokinas 11-16 and their 12-24. can you write some sort of review on the 11-16 when you get it in ben?

I will see if I can get the time to do it. I am overseas and will be home for 10 days. Then back overseas for 2 months. But you know I am going to find time to at least give it a short workout. :D I don't bring my good stuff when I travel so, I will only have that time at home to give it a go.

Of course the wife has a huge list going for when I am at home for days off. :er: But she works during the day, so I may accidently go for a ride and take some pics.

I have the Tokina 11-16 in Nikon flavor comming in 5 days (stupid weekend in the way). I looked all over and the Tokina scored better than Nikon and Sigma ultrawides (more than just KR's praise). I have an older Tokina 300 2.8 and its built very well. So I believe the 11-16 will be up to par. Alot of the reviewers mention the shorter zoom range probably helps the Tokina to better control aberations and such. I was leaning towards the Sigma (price lower), but its a bit slower, and noticed they have a new model comming out that I think will be a constant aperature of 3.5. So they are picking up the speed a little bit as well. I think Nikon is a little behind in the super wide lens group. Canon's ultra wide has had a good following and would probably be the better lens for that Camera flavor. For me the Tokina won out. Will see in 5 days.

woah - where did you order yours?

I have had mine on backorder from Adorama for awhile, waiting to see how it pans out on my Nikon body as well. . .

unfortunately, it doesn't have an AF motor, so I'll be going manual on my D40x until I can score a D90 cheap. . .

woah - where did you order yours?

I have had mine on backorder from Adorama for awhile, waiting to see how it pans out on my Nikon body as well. . .

unfortunately, it doesn't have an AF motor, so I'll be going manual on my D40x until I can score a D90 cheap. . .

Cameta camera, through Amazon or Ebay. They have 2, but they raised the price $100. It seems they have figured out they are in low supply. Kinda like street price of SB-600's going up $50.

Wow, ordered mine in nick of time. And the Tokina was $75 less during the holidays. $175 in a couple months. Wonder what the deal is??

yeah, my Tokina is about $567 through Adorama - how much was it before??

I might wait then if it could be had cheaper. . .no way i need it THAT badly, I can wait if I can get it cheaper!

yeah, my Tokina is about $567 through Adorama - how much was it before??

I might wait then if it could be had cheaper. . .no way i need it THAT badly, I can wait if I can get it cheaper!

$567 is the cheap price. Any of the stores with them instock had brought the price up. If you willing to wait for the backordered ones to get in. Saves you $80. There are Canon flavors available, but even where I got mine is out of stock in Nikon flavor.

perfect, just wanted to make sure $567 was the cheaper price. . .I'll wait and see, got another backorder notice, so I suspect that whatever issues the Tokina factory had in correcting the existing Nikon 11-16's is backing them up on the newer orders that were place. . .thanks!

I can't speak for the 11-16, but I have the 12-24 and love it.

Nikon mount of course and use it on my D90. It was money very well spent at $489 from B&H (I see one in stock on their site right now at that price).

It's heavy, sturdy, built like a tank. I love the image quality of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back