Anyone have experience with this fisheye?

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My husband is letting me buy a fisheye, but I'm on a budget. I found this fisheye (Falcon/Samyang 8mm 3.5) and I have done a lot of reading up on it and everything that I've read so far seems to be very positive.

Do any of you have any experience with this lens or own one?

My only other concern is that it's a Manual lens. How hard is it to get use to the manual focus?

I've taken a look at several pictures online using this lens: 8mm fisheye
and it looks like it takes awesome pictures.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've not used that lens, but manual focus is something I do have experience with manual focus.

With a DSLR with a stock focusing screen, it's quite painful. With my old D40x I ended up switching out the screen with a split-prism screen that I picked up on eBay for about $30 or so. After that it was a fair bit easier to work with - so if you're going to invest in a manual focus lens, also invest in a new focus screen as well.

You can install the screen yourself, though be careful - I had to do it three times before I got it in place without letting dust in.

Last edited:
My only other concern is that it's a Manual lens. How hard is it to get use to the manual focus?

I personally have no problem with manual focus but, maybe, it's because that's all I've ever known. And to be honest, I haven't yet used my DSLR in AF mode :lol:

Can you not switch your lenses to manual focus? That would be the easiest way to see if you have a problem with it.

As for the lens, sorry, don't know it. But I tend to see fisheyes as novelty lenses more than anything else in the sense that, even though they can have their place in a photog's bag, there are very few photos that require them and looking at more than a few fisheyes shots at one time gives me a headache. :lol:

But that is only my opinion. To each is own.

You'll have a lot of lens flare and many of the images you linked to have had a fair bit of post processing done to them. Keep your Photoshop warmed up.

You will be able to diminish the flare by making sure the sun is not in the frame, and the lens hood is on.

Where can you buy the lens. I looked for it a bit and couldn't find anywhere that carries it.

Last edited:
With a DSLR with a stock focusing screen, it's quite painful. With my old D40x I ended up switching out the screen with a split-prism screen that I picked up on eBay for about $30 or so. After that it was a fair bit easier to work with - so if you're going to invest in a manual focus lens, also invest in a new focus screen as well.

I'm unclear as to why you have to switch the focus screen? What is a prism screen?

Can you not switch your lenses to manual focus? That would be the easiest way to see if you have a problem with it.

As for the lens, sorry, don't know it. But I tend to see fisheyes as novelty lenses more than anything else in the sense that, even though they can have their place in a photog's bag, there are very few photos that require them and looking at more than a few fisheyes shots at one time gives me a headache. :lol:

Yes, I can switch my lens to manual and have done it before. So, I guess it won't be too bit of a problem. I'll just have to get use to doing it with that lens.

Trust me, I will get tons of use out of it. :thumbup:

You'll have a lot of lens flare and many of the images you linked to have had a fair bit of post procesing done to them. Keep your Photoshop warmed up.

You will be able to diminish the flare by making sure the sun is not in the frame, and the lens hood is on.

Where can you buy the lens. I looked for it a bit and couldn't find anywhere that carries it.

I'll make sure about the lens hood. I'm sure I'll be able to tell that right away after I start to play with it some.
The only place I could find them myself is ebay and there only seems to be 1 seller on there that carries it. However, when I did a search on it, there seems to be tons of people out there with them because I came up with a lot of pictures taken with them, postings on forums about it and so on. One forum did give their company website...and you could find the lens, however there was nothing on the website about the price they charge for the lens OR who carries them which I found odd.

I'm unclear as to why you have to switch the focus screen? What is a prism screen?

Split-prism focusing screens are most common in older manual focus cameras; they provide an easier way to judge if you're in focus, and if not, what you need to do to correct it. If you get used to a purely manual camera, using them becomes second nature.

When you look through the viewfinder of a camera with a split-prism there's a small circle in the center which is split in half (top & bottom). When the image in each half is aligned, then the image is in focus. In my experience it's a whole lot easier to use this type of focusing screen (especially in low light) then playing with the focusing ring hoping to see the focus light come on.

But then, it might just be me.

Split-prism focusing screens are most common in older manual focus cameras; they provide an easier way to judge if you're in focus, and if not, what you need to do to correct it. If you get used to a purely manual camera, using them becomes second nature.

When you look through the viewfinder of a camera with a split-prism there's a small circle in the center which is split in half (top & bottom). When the image in each half is aligned, then the image is in focus. In my experience it's a whole lot easier to use this type of focusing screen (especially in low light) then playing with the focusing ring hoping to see the focus light come on.

But then, it might just be me.

Oh yea, I remember those back in the day on a 35mm film camera I had. I didn't know much about camera's back then and only messed around with it a handful of times. But would it be beneficial for someone like me to get something like that since all my other lens are AF?

...hoping to see the focus light come on.

My DSLR must not have one of those. At least I don't think I've seen the light.

:lol:

mitsugirly, I don't see what the problem is then. If this lens is only manual focus you won't have to get used to anything. If it's out of focus when you look through the viewfinder, you'll just focus. Don't worry about it. :lmao:

Oh yea, I remember those back in the day on a 35mm film camera I had. I didn't know much about camera's back then and only messed around with it a handful of times. But would it be beneficial for someone like me to get something like that since all my other lens are AF?

Really just comes down to how much you're going to be working with manual equipment and how comfortable you are with how your camera works with manual focus. If you're only going to do a couple shots here and there, I wouldn't bother.

For me, I went that route as I got my hands on a set of extension belows to do macro work and needed to be quite sure about my focus. It made things easier for me, but it's by no means required, especially for light use.

Well, the hubby took it upon himself to go ahead and buy it for me.

Hopefully it will work out and it won't be too hard to get use to the manual focus.

Looking forward to showing some neat pictures taken with it soon.

I must say I'm LOVING my new fish eye. It takes crispy clear photo's and I'm very glad the hubby got it for me. (If only I would have had it 3 days earlier for my Chicago trip)

3806959380_5e78b76efa.jpg

3806141035_f6154607ac.jpg

3815220725_dc1dd0a5da.jpg

Most reactions

Back