Anyone have luck with ebay?

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by Many Hats, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Many Hats

Many Hats TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking to buy a new Canon 5D. Tempted to go ebay, but had a bad experience a couple years ago with a seller who had high pressure ad ons, bait and switch with the lenses, etc. Some of these prices seem to good to be true, but most feedback seems to be good. Anyone had a good experience with a seller they can recommend? One seller has a 5D with a 24-105 IS f/4L, memory card, bag and free ship for about $2800. (Yes, US warranty) Seems pretty reasonable without being wildly cheap and suspicious. HELP!!

2. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All I can say is do your homework. If you feel at all uncomfortable with something...walk away, immediately. Every piece of camera equipment I currently have has come off of ebay, and not a bad experience.

I will go into the seller's feedback and email a few of his purchasers who have bought large dollar items, just to see how the transaction went, how was communication, shipping, packaging, etc. Beware of the person who has 200 feedback buying & selling $4 trinkets, and then all of a sudden has a $2000 camera or lens on the block....RUN AWAY.

Biggest thing is trust your gut & be prepared to say "no thanks", no matter how bad you want that item.

3. DeadEye

DeadEye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I recently got a speedo blackline setup from shutterblade off ebay. Very good experance. A few minor glitches that they worked out. A cord was missing , they sent it and refunded the shipping. Would buy from them again for sure.

4. orut08

orut08 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not trying to stereotype, but I have had similar experiences, not on ebay, but camera stores in general coming out of brooklyn new york. There seems to be a lot of bait and switch operations coming from there. Make sure you are extra careful with these shops, because I know there are a lot of ebay places operating out of new york. Many of them stress USA warranty and have things like extra percentage off for warrantys. I may be a little paranoid, but its always good to be cautious.

5. If you are buying new I would highly recommend that you buy from a bricks and mortar store - even if you actually buy from their website (B&H and Adorama usually have amongst the best prices in the US and you get proper warranties too). If however you are buying used - the advice about eBay above is good - although you may want to check B&H and Adorama for that too. I've bought a lot of equipment on eBay and it has always worked out just fine. Homework is the key...

I can't remember names but as mentioned above also, there are some rather shady online dealers (apparently some operating here in Brooklyn unfortunately!) and I'd steer well clear of them. Stick with well known stores and you'll be fine.

6. skid2964

skid2964 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I to, have excellent results with eBay.

Look at feedback, look for transactions with similar items you are looking for. Read the comments.
    If they do happen to have a negative feedback or two, read how they responded to them. if they are snide and un-accountable, then i don't deal with them. many times, the buyer that left them negative feedback is the one at fault.

Ask them a question, see if they are good at responding to communication.

7. Many Hats

Many Hats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for all the responses! I've just had crummy luck with ebay on a couple things. I do try and check feedback, but never considered emailing those people. Great idea! Now just have to convince hubby I really do need this camera.

8. Xandria Gallery

Xandria Gallery TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cameta has a store on ebay and they seem to have pretty good prices so I would check them out. Their feedback is pretty good also.

9. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bought my 100-300mm f4 and both of my teleconverters from different vendors on e-bay. I had no problem with any of them and got whopping good deals (they were all mint ... the lens cost me all of $500).

I have had a couple of sour e-bay transactions in the distant past, but not with photographic stuff.

Ian

10. cszakolczai

cszakolczai TPF Noob!

I buy... everything off of ebay other then clothes. If your careful, then you'll be fine. I bought my D200 off of ebay, my 18-200VR, my backpack and a ton of other things ranging from car parts to military medals. Ebay is fine as long as you are careful. I think the best way to shop on ebay, is to be frugal and very cautious. If your cautious, then you'll be fine.
    Chris

11. mscheffler

mscheffler TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also, if there is a store or website name, go to www.resellerratings.com and input the name there to see what other buyers rate them.

Adorama has an 8.04 lifetime rating, and Broadway Photo has a 1.18 lifetime rating!

It definitely pays to do your homework!

12. Midwest_420

Midwest_420 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit