Anyone heard of Hoya Pro1 CPL's being prone to cracking?

Snap Happy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mariastravels.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Bought this new 77mm CPL from Adorama in late May for a trip, used it on my new Tokina 11-16 and was very pleased with the results - NO vignetting (which was happening with Hoya's thicker filters). I am VERY careful with my cams. I'd throw myself in front of a bus to save tis thing. Bottom line - I don't bang it on walls, chairs, or even sit it down hard. Have used this lens/filter combo exactly one more time (in my house, no less) since this trip in early June. When I removed it from the drawer today, splinter crack emanating from what looks like a spot a few mm from the edge (but still under the metal frame). Basically three-pronged crack that is making its way across the entire diameter of the filter.

I suppose I can call Adorama and beg, but I mentioned this to a friend who's an amateur photog and she said, "Yeah, they're not the best quality." WTH. I hope she was just spouting nonsense, because I didn't pay $200 for poor quality. Been using Hoya's (thicker) filters for years without incident.

Anyone ever heard of thesse things spontaneously or easily cracking? I know it was fine when I put it away a couple of weeks ago, and this area is so temp-controlled, it's not even funny. I know I didn't bang it weeks ago only to have it crack now, because nobody touches that cam but me, and I handle it pretty gently.

That sounds pretty weird to me. But I wouldn't worry about the quality. Hoya do make crap filters, but they make good ones too. The people who complain are the ones using their standard filters not their multi-coated ones.

Sounds awfully strange to me; I'm guessing flawed from the factory. Did it encounter any tempterature extremes, say go from sub-zero in a very warm room or anything?

Bought this new 77mm CPL from Adorama in late May for a trip, used it on my new Tokina 11-16 and was very pleased with the results - NO vignetting (which was happening with Hoya's thicker filters). I am VERY careful with my cams. I'd throw myself in front of a bus to save tis thing. Bottom line - I don't bang it on walls, chairs, or even sit it down hard. Have used this lens/filter combo exactly one more time (in my house, no less) since this trip in early June. When I removed it from the drawer today, splinter crack emanating from what looks like a spot a few mm from the edge (but still under the metal frame). Basically three-pronged crack that is making its way across the entire diameter of the filter.

I suppose I can call Adorama and beg, but I mentioned this to a friend who's an amateur photog and she said, "Yeah, they're not the best quality." WTH. I hope she was just spouting nonsense, because I didn't pay $200 for poor quality. Been using Hoya's (thicker) filters for years without incident.

Anyone ever heard of thesse things spontaneously or easily cracking? I know it was fine when I put it away a couple of weeks ago, and this area is so temp-controlled, it's not even funny. I know I didn't bang it weeks ago only to have it crack now, because nobody touches that cam but me, and I handle it pretty gently.

Hi

I was really sorry to hear about this; I can't make any promises at this stage, but if you could contact me directly with your order number, we can certainly look into this for you.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
[email protected]

Hi

I was really sorry to hear about this; I can't make any promises at this stage, but if you could contact me directly with your order number, we can certainly look into this for you.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
[email protected]

Thank you! Emailing you a PDF of the invoice.

Anyone ever heard of thesse things spontaneously or easily cracking?

I think it's pretty cool that Adorama was searching around and answered up! :thumbup:

But yes, sometimes these things crack for no discernible reason. There obviously IS a reason - cause & affect, science, you know, all that. ;) But it's not always "figurable". I have to add that it's pretty rare though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back