Anyone heard of RAW natural born artists?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
They have a strange way of organizing the event. A showcase director asked me to feature my photographs at the RAW event. I have to be able to sell 20 tickets to get in and display my work or pay the difference. That is about $300 total if I can not sell the tickets. Is it worth my time and money?

They have a strange way of organizing the event. A showcase director asked me to feature my photographs at the RAW event. I have to be able to sell 20 tickets to get in and display my work or pay the difference. That is about $300 total if I can not sell the tickets. Is it worth my time and money?

I was going to do a RAW show in Boston. At first it seemed like it would be awesome, but then I talked to a few friends who had done RAW shows. IF you have some prints ready to hang, and think you can sell the 20 tickets, I would consider doing it. The people I talked to who had done a RAW show said they didn't sell anything, and basically spent a bunch of money to participate. The majority of people buying tickets to these shows are going to support somebody they know who are in it, not going to buy art. Not to say people won't buy anything, but it's not like people going with the intention of buying. I decided against it, and instead did a show at a gallery that month. A girl I knew ended up doing the show...she lost money, I made a bit. Just my experience

What is a RAW show?

From what you 2 have said -it sounds like really good deal for the show owner and no one else.

RAW is a showcase events held across the US. In my local area, RAW held every three months. They are trying to promote local artists as all the different artists get together at one evening to show off their talents. They have local live band entertainment, performers, and fashion show. I have been there regularly. I come just for the fashion show. RAW is not very exciting unless you have nothing else to do and just go over there to drink cocktail and hangout.

RAW:natural born artists

Last edited:
What is a RAW show?

From what you 2 have said -it sounds like really good deal for the show owner and no one else.
Yeah, it reminds me of being in bands where you had to "buy" your set amount of tickets beforehand and then sell (beg your friends/family to buy) them yourselves. Most of the time you lose money on the ordeal.

What is a RAW show?

A borderline scam with the way the entry fee and tickets are handled. Wow....sounds like a bunch of crooks dreamed this up...vanity shows, where poor saps get conned into paying for tickets that THEY have to sell or be charged for! OMG!

What is a RAW show?

Yeah, it reminds me of being in bands where you had to "buy" your set amount of tickets beforehand and then sell (beg your friends/family to buy) them yourselves. Most of the time you lose money on the ordeal.

I was JUST about to say that. That is exactly what this reminds me of.

It's a common practice among local music venues, but it's still a sh*tty deal.

I've run across it before, it's held in my area. Strange is about right. Apparently participants are expected to pay/sell tickets and work the event - as photographers, make up artists, clothing designers, etc. Seems like it's pay to party and help provide the entertainment yourself! and if you don't sell the tickets you have to pay for them yourself. Haven't gone to it and wouldn't support something like this by participating in it. (And the quality of what I saw in pictures from the one locally wasn't that good.)

Lol.

ANYTHING that requires you to pay money to make money is a scam. Mary Kay, Amway and so on, is a scam.

Last edited by a moderator:
So in this context, what does RAW stand for?

That is a good question. They are trying to be "hip" for young artists and young guests. The artists have "RAW" talented. Even though, many artists have crappy talents. A lot of performances are horrible and weird. Last time when I was in RAW as guest, there was a woman with her guitar and singing with profanities, and two performers wore unicorn masks walking around and waving their hands pretending they were dancing. I think I better stop going.

$_MG_9586.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back