Anyone here have a (higher level) degree in Photography?

elizpage

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethpagewalker.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This isn't meant to be a biting comment, I am just legitimately curious on who has an education.

I am thinking of enrolling in an Art & Design school to get a MFA in Photography. I want to grow intellectually and artistically. In other words, this isn't just for financial reasons in growing my business. By the way, I got my Bachelor's recently in Mass Media Arts, which is related to Video Production and Telecommunications.

Personally, even as a new photographer, I feel skeptical about hiring a photographer who is "self-taught" because it could really mean anything (unless their work is exemplary) It shows a lot of dedication and perserverence to actually pursue a degree in your craft.

I paid $400 for 11 shots and a 1.5 hour session with a photographer with 8 years of experience and a degree. I paid this amount because I respected her way of doing business and work. She had a smart way of presenting her portfolio as well.

I wouldn't pay myself $400 for that amount of work, due to my experience level and lack of education.

I also refused to pay $300 for a larger body of photos from an extremely rude photographer, who refused to budge on her $300 sitting fee for what was absolutely awful work. She also had a hideous watermark consisting of a heart and her name that covered up almost 10% of all of her images. She went so far as to say that I was "superficial" for giving her some pointers on her watermark after she submitted the quote in to me. Isn't photography somewhat of a "superficial" craft? It's all about the way something presents itself and looks, including the watermark.

Getting back to my point..

How would an education benefit me? What do you guys think?

I think an education will give you better understanding of the elements of photography - lighting, setups, equipment, methods and stuff like that - also introduce you to artists and their work, and show you how to be creative.

What it won't do, is allow you to BE creative yourself - I think this is something that regardless of education, only you can do. Nobody else knows your thoughts or sees your shots as your mind does.

Photography is about a story told through a lens, and it isn't always technically perfect. For me, choosing a wedding photographer was about the work she had done, not what letters she has after her name.

I have 30+ years of hands-on experience and have attended many seminars and workshops, and am always willing to learn. From anyone. A degree in photography? :lol: Yeah... sure... okay. As soon as someone can explain to me how the final exam will be graded. Seriously... photography is an art. You can teach the mechanics of lighting, exposure, etc and you can teach compositional theory but at the end of the day, the results are purely subjective.

I would submit that the degree had little, or more likely nothing to do with your decision about which photographer to hire, and attitude and presentation did. If you want to spend money on a photographic education, then take business and entrepreneurship training, basic accounting & marketing and spend your evenings watching Creative Live and Adorama TV for information on the technical side of things.

As for dedication, well I suppose spending four years at school does show a certain type of dedication, but IMO, those four years could much better be spent learning and growing your business and gaining real world experience.

YMMV

if you're going to start a business, it would probably be wise to know how to business...

I disagree with schooling. Don't get me wrong, school is good for some. But not all.

I learned by doing, failing and making thousands of mistakes.

Oh and of course google and youtube.

I didn't even know there was a degree in photography.

Nope.I am getting a hands on degree.I have a degree in F-ups. though.:biglaugh:

I have 30+ years of hands-on experience and have attended many seminars and workshops, and am always willing to learn. From anyone. A degree in photography? :lol: Yeah... sure... okay. As soon as someone can explain to me how the final exam will be graded. Seriously... photography is an art. You can teach the mechanics of lighting, exposure, etc and you can teach compositional theory but at the end of the day, the results are purely subjective.

I would submit that the degree had little, or more likely nothing to do with your decision about which photographer to hire, and attitude and presentation did. If you want to spend money on a photographic education, then take business and entrepreneurship training, basic accounting & marketing and spend your evenings watching Creative Live and Adorama TV for information on the technical side of things.

As for dedication, well I suppose spending four years at school does show a certain type of dedication, but IMO, those four years could much better be spent learning and growing your business and gaining real world experience.

YMMV

Well, that's awesome you are always willing to learn even though you have so much experience already. I clicked the link and took a look at some of your recent work and well.. there's just nothing about it that sets it apart (in my humble opinion of course) I think that's more important than the work being technically perfect. Since it says: ​Tell me what you think I figured I would. I also think that it's very traditional, which is good for some people (probably the vast majority).

I guess I just proved your point then that the results will always be subjective :lol: Some people love my work, and others think it's awful. I don't have a huge body of work yet, though. And I'm always willing to try new things. Let me know what you think of mine when you can. Don't be too harsh, but be honest of your opinion of course! :)

The best degree is your portfolio, I don’t care about that piece of paper on the wall , it means nothing.
I am sure that many of us know many great photographers, who have no degree in photography and who would get hired on the spot based on the reputation and work done. There are things that you don’t get from school its either you have them or not.

The best degree is your portfolio, I don’t care about that piece of paper on the wall , it means nothing.
I am sure that many of us know many great photographers, who have no degree in photography and who would get hired on the spot based on the reputation and work done. There are things that you don’t get from school its either you have them or not.
Yeah. You all have good points.. I was just curious on peoples' thoughts :)

I got my Bachelor's recently in Mass Media Arts..
How would an education benefit me?

Are you capable of attending more college, as in; financially and time available?

IMO, a business degree (or classes) would help you build and maintain a business, and art classes would help with photography. IMO a photography degree is not going to be of much value unless you want to get a job working for another photographer. Almost nobody cares about a formal education when engaging the services of a photographer. You could probably get as much or possibly even more respect by joining a professional photographer's association.

I think if you want to pursue photography as a journey of artistic improvement, you need to enroll at a very reputable school that focuses on studio light and shadows. That may sound obvious but you'd be surprised at how many schools barely touch on lighting and artistic merit.

I'm not one to discourage against schools but it appears to me in your postings that you're looking for a quick fix or someone to help you make it all click. You live in a large enough geographic to get off the internet and hit up some classes and network. It took me one hands on class to understand the technical aspect of how to set-up lighting but it is a never ending process of learning the creative side.

Fine art degree majoring in photography is not just about photography. A lot has to do with understanding and appreciating fine art and the history as well. There isn't as much practical photography as one would have wished. However it provides a deeper understanding of how art is being defined.

Most reactions

Back