Anyone here have a (higher level) degree in Photography?

I am currently enrolled at the Art Institute of Austin and it has taught me a lot and I am glad I went back to school. I started off at Colorado State University in Pueblo working on gen ed and eventually went into their art department. They did not have a photography program, just a few classes on the basics. I eventually transferred to Austin then dropped out after 3 quarters or so. I realized I hate my job (after being out of school for 4 years), my photography wasnt improving, so I pushed myself back into school over a year ago. Ive grown a lot from it and from learning here. Because I work full time I can only take 2 classes a semester (and thats basically all my financial aid will cover) it would take me 5-6 years before I completed the remaining two years of schooling. Not worth it to me. So I will take the classes I feel I need and when I am ready, drop out and push myself in the photographic field. Staying in the school that long is a waste of my time and money. I have some education (and glad I do) but I would rather have the real world experience.

The university near me where I've taken coursework in my field (education/child development) and where I've taken a few grad level art workshops has photography as one if its few mandatory dual majors (with a recommendation of business as the second major) - obviously so students will come out of school able to find a job.

I tend to think it can be beneficial to get some further training or education but I don't know how much it would be of benefit in photography. For me it's been a sideline doing some sports and events, and more recently fine art photography; I've always taken workshops and took art as electives but I don't think photographers have typically had degrees unless maybe they were working photojournalists.

I would think it would help to talk to someone at a school about what some options would be. I don't know if there would be opportunities to teach photography at college level or not but that seems specific and probably limiting compared to an art or other degree that would include areas of expertise besides just photography.

I have 45 years of experience with a camera. I didn't finish high school, wasn't really too interested in what I was being taught. Taking courses in photography is great, will it get you a job as a photographer at the end, these days, who knows, but it does get you knowledge and an advantage over someone that is trying to learn on their own.

The best thing about a degree in photography these days is, that in a frame, it can be hung on the wall to cover up a hole, other than that, it's just a piece of paper in a frame.

I have 45 years of experience with a camera. I didn't finish high school, wasn't really too interested in what I was being taught. Taking courses in photography is great, will it get you a job as a photographer at the end, these days, who knows, but it does get you knowledge and an advantage over someone that is trying to learn on their own. The best thing about a degree in photography these days is, that in a frame, it can be hung on the wall to cover up a hole, other than that, it's just a piece of paper in a frame.

As are most degrees. I don't even know where mine are!

The thing about tech type degrees is that they are outdated so fast! When I went to college we still had to use a linear editor! Things like HD video, recording to SD cards and picture cameras that shoot video were considered impossible. Granted college was a great time and I met lots of fun people but for my degree I could have taken or leaven it.

Personally, even as a new photographer, I feel skeptical about hiring a photographer who is "self-taught" because it could really mean anything (unless their work is exemplary) It shows a lot of dedication and perserverence to actually pursue a degree in your craft.

This is silly.

In like... 1 Million and one ways.

Is a formal education BAD? No.

Is it NECESSARY? Absolutely not.

I went to school for music recording technology (another art, is my point...) and I graduated and got my degree. Not only was I only a mediocre engineer, because I didn't spend as much time in the studio, practicing my craft, as I did hanging out at my friend's house and chillin' with my boyfriend when he was in town... I ended up deciding against doing anything with my degree.

Then there's our friend Kyle... who Keith has known since 6th grade.

That guy bought some cheap gear, and in middle school started to teach himself music recording. And then as he got older, he invested more and continued to learn.

He didn't go to college... as a matter of fact, he dropped out of high school.

He's working as a recording engineer.

I'm not.

I've never taken a formal photography course a day in my life. Do I still have improvements to make? Sure. I'll never feel like I don't, and I'll never stop learning, but I'm better than half the people I know that took *any* sort of class in photography and some that even have a degree.

My best friend here is an EXCELLENT photographer.

His degree is in Graphic Design. He's a self-taught photographer, with only one "photography 101" class that was required for his design degree under his belt.

90% of the photographers that I know that are great at what they do and working, are self-taught.

If am am not mistaken, one of the celebrity-status, big name, commercial photographers here in town does not have a photography degree.

Actually let me go check... ::goes to website::

FOUND IT! Here you go:

About | Jeremy Cowart

That little piece of paper means jack sh*t when it comes to the arts.

Can you do it, or can't you? That's all that matters.

You're still complaining [EDIT: Just saw when this was posted, so you're not "still" complaining, haha] about paying $400 for photos, but your problem isn't whether or not that woman had a degree.

We talked about it last night. I told you that the work she gave you was 100% reminiscent of the work on her site. Her site is poorly designed (I actually had to zoom out in my browser just to be able to see the full photos without heads cut off on her site), and it's evident that she gave her portfolio zero thought when putting it together.

You said she has a degree.

How did you feel about her work?

Not great, eh?

You shouldn't be scouring people's bios for evidence of a degree.

You should be scouring their portfolio for evidence of photographic capability.

That's what you're putting your money into... the result. Not the slice of dead tree they may or may not have their name inked onto. :lol:

Hi

I have in the study of Photography for three years - I am in the last year of this study - Degree in visual arts.

I started the study as felt as though I could not do the photography I wanted after one year study - I worked as part time pro for 18 months- was good and did some good work .

I now feel a lot more confident of my skills and have become quite artistic and this is good for me and my work.

Next year I will be back to making the money for weddings and stuff and being fine art photographer also. I think its the attitude I apply to the customer and the work and provide a good service as that is what the customer will expect.

Also need the good gear and hot spare camera etc.

And ENJOY your work and that takes care of most things !

Take Care

Well i recommend getting PPA Certified AKA "Professional Photographers of America Certified"

I got mine a couple of years ago and it counts for allot and most other professional photographers i know have been PPA certified.

I have my B.A Information Systems. "University Of Florida"

But i also took plenty of elective courses in Journalism and Modern Art wile i was working on my degree at UF and those classes gave me a wealth of insight and knowledge that i have today.

This isn't meant to be a biting comment, I am just legitimately curious on who has an education.

Personally, even as a new photographer, I feel skeptical about hiring a photographer who is "self-taught" because it could really mean anything (unless their work is exemplary) It shows a lot of dedication and perserverence to actually pursue a degree in your craft.

I paid $400 for 11 shots and a 1.5 hour session with a photographer with 8 years of experience and a degree. I paid this amount because I respected her way of doing business and work. She had a smart way of presenting her portfolio as well.

How would an education benefit me? What do you guys think?

You said: "It shows a lot of dedication and perserverence(sic) to actually pursue a degree in your craft."
It takes a helluva a lot more perseverance and dedication to achieve mastery of a craft. If that were not so then ALL college grads would be fully functional journeyman levels when they graduated...that does not happen.

So you liked the portfolio, but apparently had the photographer been 'self taught' you would not have hired them?

You are not ready....continue your life in the ivory towers, in fact I suggest that perhaps that would be your ideal career path...academia.

Last edited:
While it's far from some fancy college degree, this topic isn't makes me think about what is going on in my house.

My wife and I started taking our photography seriously fairly recently.
My wife is currently doing an $800+ online course which seems like it is pretty decent.
However I am concurrently teaching myself by smashing forums, google, youtube, magazines and books and introducing myself to photographers that I meet at events.

The result? Well I am consistently helping my wife understand the contents of her course. I have a better understanding of photography compared to what she has learned in the same amount of time.
Some of this may well be my geeky nature lol, but I put it to real world learning and the fact I have spent more time taking photos and less time reading about it in a course.
To me education is very important to help discover methods and techniques that will help turn your imagination into a creation. However going to school is definitely not the only, or most effective place to learn.
I would rather put my trust in a photographer with experience over a formal education.

I'm a photography school dropout. I was in an accredited IT program and one day I had an epiphany: did I really want to spend my career trapped in a cubicle all day? No. So I transferred to an art school and majored in photography. About a year into this new program, I had another epiphany: why am I paying for this crap when so much of it is free? So I quit.

Unless you plan on working for a fashion studio or something, there's no point to a photography degree in my opinion. There's so much you can gain for free online and through workshops that are far cheaper than paying for an education. If you want to go into business for yourself, you'd be much better served by taking business classes.

You gain valuable network and contacts through attending a good photography school. The school I attended was taught by real high level working pros. I have had paid jobs come my way from knowing the right people.

Most reactions

Back