Anyone here use a ultrawide curved monitor?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been thinking about treating myself a new monitor for my birthday and christmas next week and I'm wondering if anyone here at TPF has a 34" ultrawide curved monitor and how they enjoy it for photo/video editing or just general computing (or gaming).

I've been using a calibrated Dell Ultrasharp IPS 24" 1920 x 1200 and its wonderful but just not enough screen real estate for my other stuff I do. Thought about getting a second screen but rather not have a bezel/gap in the middle and prefer not to turn my head left or right when writing something. So I've been looking at the 34" curved ultrawides, particularly the LG 34UC88-B 34" 3440 x 1440 freesync LG34UC88-B 34 which is calibrated for photo and video editing.

The other option is to get a 27" QHD or 4K monitor. But I'd love the ultra wide for real estate and the option to use it as dual displays if I'm repairing a client's computer, heck..you can even do picture in picture! Pretty neat if you ask me.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone could share their experiences on these type of monitors before I go ahead and make my purchase.

Thanks!

I have a 29 inch curved samsung ultra wide which has pip/pbp and it is pretty cool.I mainly use one system for video watching which is an amd fm2 apu system and my x99 xystem for gaming and 4k videos.

So I think I'm going to pass on the curved monitors as after research I came to believe that for photography it will be an annoyance when editing photos which has horizontal lines would appear distorted because of the curve.

However, I still like the ultra wide for screen real estate and LG makes a flat panel 21:9 34" 1440p monitor in which I am very interested in.

So I'm thinking this might be the ticket.

However, there is two versions of this monitor and unsure why. They appear to be exactly the same lol.

LG34UM88-P 34

LG34UB88-P 34

The weird part is that the UB model there is no info on LGs website. Makes me wonder if its possibly a new model or a revisioned model? I don't know. I just want to make sure I get the best one.

UB model was probably a Black Firday model and lack features.

I'm a big fan of my 2051p monitor, I don't think I could ever go back to poverty sized pixels.

UB model was probably a Black Firday model and lack features.

I'm a big fan of my 2051p monitor, I don't think I could ever go back to poverty sized pixels.

Actually, I came across a data sheet for the UB model, it was hidden deep haha. Turns out that's the commercial version which has 3 year warranty instead of 1 year other than, it's the same monitor. Maybe the extra $60 is better for the 3 year warranty, I dunno. Probably not lol.

I originally was going to get a 4K monitor but it would make everything way too tiny and then you'd have to apply scaling and just don't see the point. 3440x1440 is plenty. I've been missing my dual monitors for years so having a ultra wide will be the solution i've been looking for.

Last edited:
I have dual 1200px 21" monitors at work. I much prefer my single 32" uhd monitor at home.

That would be overkill for me lol.

they might just be 19", but they are on the larger size.

I LOVE having more pixels for photo editing -- you gain so much extra space. 1900x1200 looks like 800x600 to me.

they might just be 19", but they are on the larger size.

I LOVE having more pixels for photo editing -- you gain so much extra space.

I agree but I don't think it's necessary either. I've watched reviews on 4K monitors everything looks so incredibly tiny. It would be annoying for me. 1440p is more than enough for me and having the ultra wide aspect will be cool for games and when video editing. Also I can split the screen as if it two independent monitors which will be handy when I'm working a client's computer. I won't have to hook up a second screen again.

well it's technically two monitors :p pretty sure you need two video outputs to run one of them.

well it's technically two monitors :p pretty sure you need two video outputs to run one of them.

You just one DP, but yes..you'd have to use another cable to hook up a second computer to it. I have enough outputs to run like 6 monitors lol.

Now what IS really cool is that you can use LG's software to trick Windows into thinking its two monitors so you can use Lightroom's dual monitor features.

okay, ive seen some widescreens that had resolutions not supported by cards, so it actually ran as two, and the pixels in the middle were blended (seamlessly).

okay, ive seen some widescreens that had resolutions not supported by cards, so it actually ran as two, and the pixels in the middle were blended (seamlessly).

That's weird. Mine supports up to 8K I believe. But yeah it supports the 3440 x 1440.

So after lots of research and thinking, I pretty much decided to just go for a standard 27" 16:9 1440p instead of the Ultrawide 21:9 1440p as I just think having the extra 4 inches on both sides of a 27" 16:9 is not really worth the premium in price.

I very rarely require to have multiple windows open at once so that extra width probably not worth it since most of the time I'd resize the window to fit the center anyways.

Still...the 27" 1440p would be a HUGE upgrade over my small 24" 1200p and overall it would make my photography workflow easier and more comfortable as I can view the photos larger.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise. Haha.

2051p.

this is 36MP image at 100%

Y6psQpx_za0liwo5RWC1w-gG8UzsXpibioqMSsj-e6Y7KpY8xKbWBWrQaN69ndNzNn_4EukbJXFHgyolCsjK-WoV0E2NUJrB7KMxyBJgzJmhnvzPBUOLrI4A9y3hReOqHX9802Yz2g8utM5exzZlaHm2HFW223C1F9p3EUo4hwvZf7A0S0uJi-56s32PGQQQF2jeeqZKgLD7QAOhivyMOipqFjdS5CNSHBXXtka4rvjvSqXx5VavRRUcjNQorhwwQkWTFh-cyEV1wIJXt62XG--edWq_YBlVW5FqjyWY_ZpsyGdleTzaRbQ_s8i-UUGPwNFlpM0JfB98fDChGQmkd9i4yuNSpWZQzFjbZ2yyBHopbZS75Gof8ctFB5icyw3_kdninp6iw9-QdjsQD_QaON1BfwrGU1HsTXu2AOl5kd4H2lKSQ-yaE-kcGapCgDsPlxs9NRIAr9VoZv4QveVpskBNEzkwLjmFV3g7YTBq693KJbMJNCz5WmlAOi2YgxnXpvcePLt7OoRNQfIe1JjW3TievYShdMV8cXxXilTHl_baWmMdy1GcT7PlUfzkWRFo5MKX0qHQPyNhvWKmH1UkbMlJBUEO3kR1OobPEPk9=w1139-h855-no

Most reactions

New Topics

Back