Anyone in Erie,PA willing to...?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dukeboy1977, Aug 4, 2010.

1. dukeboy1977

dukeboy1977 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok, so I have a little dilemma. I wanna do photography more than anything but I don't seem to be picking it up very well on my own by reading books. I'm looking for someone who might live in or nearby to Erie,PA who might be willing to come show me personally, the more advanced features of my camera, and explain to me the proper times to use them. I've tried and tried but haven't gotten any GOOD exposures in MY opinion. In exchange for being taught, I'd be willing to help you on an important photo shoot you might have in the future. I've got a good eye for photos, and definitely the desire to be one of the best...I just don't get alot of free-time through the week due to work and two little boys, and really don't have alot of $ to be throwing around on new equipment. I'm available on weekends mostly if someone would be willing to help me become the photographer I want to become. My current equipment is a Nikon D40, an 18mm-55mm kit lens, a 55mm-200mm zoom lens, and a 35mm 1.8 lens. I have a Nikon SB600 flash w/ diffuser. All my lenses have UV filters and I have an 8 point star filter which creates a nice effect on lights at night. Anyone willing to help me?? Thanks in advance, Jeff

p.s. After all the reading I've done here, I have figured it's not my camera as it has been said that my D40 is a great camera for the money. I guess I made a good choice back when I got it! :thumbup:

2. misstwinklytoes

misstwinklytoes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I couldn't help you! :D But my sis lives in PA. I often wish I was in or around Erie. ;)

3. Taylor510ce

Taylor510ce TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Did you read the most important book..the manual? What is the biggest problem you cant seem to overcome? Are you shooting in Raw or jpeg? How long have you been shooting?

4. Wraith72

Wraith72 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why don't you post up some of your work to this thread to get some useful feedback?

This forum is an awesome resource for troubleshooting any problems you might be having with photography. If you share some of your work, you might be surprised by how much help you get.

5. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fly me in its the pits over here. H

6. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, let me get this straight,
    1. you have all these equipments you bought which, you have no idea of all their features
    2. you're now available so you want people to work around your schedule
    and............
    3. you want them to COME TO YOU to show you how to use the products and give you personal training??? :er:

Good luck! :thumbup:

7. dukeboy1977

dukeboy1977 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have and found it confusing so I bought the "dummies" book. It seems more informative but I am a "hands on" learner rather than a reading learner I guess. I can't seem to get alot of the manual settings right, and I shoot in jpeg. Raw photos are a little more complicated, though I do have elements to do it. I've been "shooting" for about a year

8. dukeboy1977

dukeboy1977 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have posted pics before and got no help then...my pics have been usually in the "sports" mode because of the fast shutter speed to "freeze" motion, but I want more control over my pics. I could try fumbling through the books more I guess, and will do so tonight, but it may only confuse me more again. I have a big problem with ISO, and lighting...and I'd LOVE to get away from fixed settings totally, I'm just not "there" yet :irked:

9. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i see where you're coming from........ do what I do, use youtube. I can't read books and learn, forgot what they call it but yeah, I got it. But I'll watch vid son youtube and they help more. That's your best bet rather than to ask someone to come over and teach you. Unless you're willing to pay someone for lessons.

10. dukeboy1977

dukeboy1977 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have my work, or some of it anyways, at my website...Home - JDuke Photography Feel free to look and critique plz...I feel like I need help! lol I feel like some of my photos are pretty good though, but improvement is always possible

11. astroskeptic

astroskeptic TPF Noob!

I'm in central PA so I can't be of any direct help but I recommend looking for photo clubs in your area. Face-to-face mentoring is the kind of benefit I would expect from participation in a club but I don't participate in one so I don't know. I just did a google search and I think there's at least one ...

12. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah duke, what astro said. take pix and post them here for us to see and we can tell you what can be done