Anyone know a good book about starting and running a photography business?

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there anyone out there who has read a good book about starting and running a photography business. I'm hoping to find a book that encompasses everything I would want to know from marketing, pricing, legal, etc.

Thanks!

While there are certainly some photography specific things about running a photo business...many of the actual 'business' things are no different than running any other small company. So go ahead and broaden your search.

Best business practices for photographers, 2nd edition by John Harrington(i think). Really good book.

You can't rely on a single source. I have an entire 5 shelf bookcase of business/marketing/sales books.

Don't forget to learn how to sell.

Professional Business Practices in Photography , by the ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) www.asmp.org. There is a bunch of good info on the web site.

John Harringtons book is also good. A thoughtful look at his web site is good too. www.johnharrington.com.

Since you're mainly interested in doing retail photography (portraiture) the most effective marketing is word-of-mouth by your clients.

A search on Amazon.com using the key words "Photography Business" returns 4 pages of related books.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I picked up the Best Business Practices for Photographers vol. 2 book.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back