Anyone know how to setup this photo?

css

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First off - hello, this is my first post. I'm a photography hobbiest and shoot film with a nikon n60 and various lenses.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to setup these clothing shots? I'm a graphic designer, so no problems making the clipping paths after the shot, but looking for how to setup the shirt/lights/etc.

http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPT...0&sku=45004&ws=false&promo_cat=&promo_cat_id=

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi css and welcome to TPF.

Essentially this is a classic product shot. It's probably been done in the following way:

Get jumper and create a wire hanger internal sculpture to give it some "body", sellotape jumper in place.

Position jumper on a fishing wire thread (the magic floating effect) a couple of feet in front of a contrasting mid-tone background (usually blue or green)

Position camera 6ft from jumper at even vertical plane. (or alter perspective to suit)

Position two "daylight" or white sheeted floodlights at 45deg to jumper with camera slightly in front. (For excellence, position a third light at the bottom at the back, lighting the backdrop evenly and cancelling any shadow)

Take picture using cable release/mirror lock up.

Photoshop background to desired colour/texture.

Repeat.

Hope this helps

Rob

Thanks Rob.

I'm not sure what you mean by "jumper" - can you explain that?
Whey not white for the background on these?

Great info.

css said:
Thanks Rob.

I'm not sure what you mean by "jumper" - can you explain that?
Whey not white for the background on these?

Great info.

Jumper / Pullover / Sweater / Windcheater / Chandail / Strickjacke / セーター / 스웨터 / Suéter :)

Not white because cameras balance their light meters for a shade of grey which represents skin tone or say grass as being middle of the range. Having a white background would cause the exposure to be altered in favour of the background and the subject would be artificially darkened as a result.

Rob

Most reactions

Back