Anyone know snakes?

Speakerboxxx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I found another snake in my backyard and I have no clue what kind it is. Does anyone know if it's poisonous?

I got some pictures of it...
Link

Thanks.

That's a tough call there. My first instinct was he doesn't look to dangerous (the head is the general rule, long and thin isn't normally poisonous, and fat diamond shape means run away.) But the banding and the fact that he's going into the water make me say you should probably stay away for safety. After some quick google searches, he doesn't seem to look like any of the dangerous snakes in Louisiana though (unless he's some sort of rattle snake, i couldn't really see the end of his tail.)

Yeah i agree with Hobbes. I wouldn't say they are dangerous as other snakes, just don't try and make it feel under threat :lol:

Id go with a water snake also. But From the pictures theres no real good view of his head. Even non-poisinous snakes can flatten out their head to look diamond shaped. Post the pictures on a snake website if you want to make sure.

either way, just leave him alone. Hes taking care of the mice and such that you probably dont want around either.

The easiest way to tell if it's a water moccasin or not is that Water moccosins swim with their entire body on top of the water. Water snakes look like they are sinking...with only the head (nose) out of the water. If your snake swims on the water without sinking any.... RUN. Water Moccasins are VERY aggressive and will swim after you if you get in the water (that is another way to tell... :p )

The best thing to do though... is to just stay away from them... whether it's poisenous or not.

-Chris

Most reactions

New Topics

Back