Anyone Not Use a Strap?

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone use their camera 'naked' in that they don't use a strap of any kind at all? I've been doing this lately and really enjoy it. I figure I always have my case with me anyway so when I'm not using it I just set it in there. No extra garbage hanging off of it!

I do enjoy the hand strap for long walks however... I just can't stand neck straps I guess.

Maybe one of these days I'll break down and get an R-Strap. :confused:

I have had my strap on the camera all of two times.....

And both times the strap came off within an hour of walking around with it.

On the tripod, the wind blows it around and I can see it in the sharpness.

I don't normally keep a strap on mine either, though I do attach the R-Strap when needed or useful.

I usually keep the strap on unless i'm shooting in the studio, or somewhere where I know i'm not going to have to multi task.

I don't tend to use my camera strap much when shooting, it gets used as I walk around when not shooting though and that is about it. But I do use (and encourage others to use) a batterygrip along with a wrist strap - its great! Not only is it a bit more secure than just handholding, but its great to be able to hold the camera down with one hand and not have to worry about fingers slipping off the camera. Its padded and comfy, but not so padded that you can't hold your hand over the strap to get to the controls if you need to quickly grab the camera to shoot.

Neckstraps I don't like when doing macro work or anything on a tripod, they get in the way - which is why I have been looking to get one of the models which has clips on each side so that the main strap can be removed without having to unfasten it.

One of the things I like about the Black Rapid is it comes off and goes on quickly. It's even better than straps with quick disconnects because it's completely off the camera.

I very rarely use mine. In the studio, on the tripod, monopod or window mount, it just gets in the way. About the only time I will put it on is if I'm walking around an event like a race.

I use mine if only because of the fear of dropping the camera when I'm not paying attention. I haven't done it yet, but if it ever does happen I'll be seriously bummed (though I suppose that's what insurance is for).

I'd be more worried about a hay bailer catching the strap and pulling it in...

... not to make you more paranoid or anything :D

:D

I kind of want to try the BlackRapid R-2 I think it is (basic one), but damn... $54?! I guess they need to make up for all the connector parts they had to ship out.

I always have the camera with the strap. Although normally if shooting, it is not around my neck and the strap is wrapped around my hand. I find it makes the camera feel more snug in my hand, also, when changing lenses on the fly, it allows me to use both hands without putting the camera down. It stays on my neck, the lens come off, cap goes on, lens in bag, new lens out, cap off, lens on camera. No putting it down where where dust or what not can get in.

Although thats just my preference. I wouldn't mind getting a different strap that is a bit more padded. on long walking tours, it can get a bit raw on my neck.

I use mine if only because of the fear of dropping the camera when I'm not paying attention. I haven't done it yet, but if it ever does happen I'll be seriously bummed (though I suppose that's what insurance is for).

I was that way for the longest time, but it's actually quite liberating to move around with a camera without the strap always being in the way. What taught me my lesson was setting it down on a table & pulling away, thinking my had was out of the strap, and then yanking the camera off the table...nearly hitting the floor. It's also bad to have the strap on while on the tripod...gives something extra to catch on, bringing the whole rig over ( did this once, too).
The biggest piece of mind was when I went to my home owner's insurance agent and had a rider put on my policy specifically for my photo gear. Now if I get a case of the butterfingers, it is completely covered....period...no deductible, no questions.

I wouldn't mind getting a different strap that is a bit more padded. on long walking tours, it can get a bit raw on my neck.

Go neoprene.... I can walk around with my D2Xs, 70-200, & sb800 slung around my neck all day.. a bit of muscle pain, but no skin problems at all.

Go neoprene.... I can walk around with my D2Xs, 70-200, & sb800 slung around my neck all day.. a bit of muscle pain, but no skin problems at all.

Speaking of, I just got my Smugmug strap in today (which is made of neoprene). Just placing around my neck with no camera is very comfortable. I might have to put it on just to check it out. At the very least, I'll definitely be keeping it around for if/when I want to use a neck strap.

Most reactions

Back