Anyone Not Use a Strap?

Yeah, that SmugMug strap is pretty comfy... if only it didn't say SmugMug in huge letters :lol:

But it was free, and seems to be a nice strap.

I ALWAYS use my strap, Knowing my luck I'd drop my camera...

Today (with a strap on MY CAMERA) I lost the little stick bit on my CPL and my lens cap!!!!!
That is the 1 reason I dislike using the Blackrapid, you feel saf and take your eye off the camera until it is too late to notice you lost stuff...

not long ago I lost my Eyepiece rubber via this method...

So I am £14 down...
and have no lens cap for 4 days and got smudges on my CPL which IDK how to get rid of!!!!!.

Anyone know if the stick bit on the CPL is needed?
I am guessing it is as without it there is a hole.

Whilst I have many cameras, I do not wish to have to discard any of them because I dropped it and damaged it. I use straps for simple insurance. We all carry the 'butterfingers' gene.

Agreed, however couldn't that same butter fingers gene cause you to accidentally snag the strap and pull your camera off a table?

See, I don't know how anyone could set a camera down and get up without making sure they've got a good hold on it.
I either have the strap doubled around my hand/wrist when I shoot or move, or I have it over my neck and shoulder. Its more comfortable than just having it draped over your neck, and more secure, IMO.

I guess what I mean is not intending to pick it up, but the strap gets hooked on something (hand, purse, bottom of a glass, I dunno).

Longer walks I do feel less comfortable holding it bare, so I typically throw on my hand strap quick - that does a great job of securing the camera to my hand, I don't even have to hold it it (so to speak).

My homemade strap attaches and detaches from the camera in about 2 seconds. I never have the strap on when I'm around the house. I worry more about accidents when it's on than I do when it's off. With the strap on and the camera on my table, it's easier to walk by and accidentally catch the strap with something and pull it off.....or easier for the strap to hang off the edge and my 2 year old or our dog to reach up and tug on the strap (neither knowing what it actually is).

If I am out and about I have my strap on, but if I'm doing landscapes (with tripod usually) or macro work, I don't use a strap as it just gets in the way. Even when I do use the strap, I'll often just unclip it while taking pictures and then clip it back on when done.

I've been using the R-Strap for the past 2 weeks. I swore I would not pay that much for a strap, but finally caved in. I have to say, I feel it's completely worth it. I shot soms sports last weekend and it was VERY useful. It carried my 7D with a 70-200F.28L IS. I was there for 4+ hours and never really got uncomfortable. If I have that setup on a neck strap, I am tired in an hour. :)

IMO the blackrapid has its place, but if you're just walking around town, or with a group of friends and you have that thing strapped onto you, well....You just look like a tool.

I really don't care what I look like as long as I am professional. My goal is to stay as fresh as possible and to get good shots. It helps with that goal.

this is a good question....i've been pondering this recently.
im finding that im using the D1h more than the d40 (i have fallen in love with the pro body...)
when i go into portrait orientation and use the other shutter button, the strap comes flopping down over the viewfinder and in my way.
i have been debating taking the strap off, but out of paranoia i have left it....maybe i'll rock it naked for awhile and see what happens...i mean it is just a d1h...i wont cry if it falls.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back