Anyone out there still read books?

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
The Crucible - Arthur Miller
Those too. I also love the classics. I have to admit, I powered through Gone with the Wind in about two days, and right now, I am reading quite a few biographies and historical fiction. Unfortunately, I can't even make a list, I love so many, but I couldn't tell you there names. I can only ever remember their story lines.

Islair said:
Anything Star Wars

You have no idea how much of my life I spent reading Star Wars books :lol:

Oh, yeah, and I forgot about these. THanks for reminding me ;)
The Crucible - Arthur Miller
The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne (though it's not my favorite...)
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

Jon, if you like Great Expectations, give Poisonwood Bible a try. It's another character based book, with an excellent story as well.

i read the Alchemist by Paulo Coalo (sp?) recently and thought it was a nice story if a little short.

Just finished Perfume by Patrick Suskind, which is abit weird but brilliant story and beautifully wrote.

I still think The Godfather by Mario Puzo is classic

Love 1984, but could never get more that halfway through Catch 22 without losing interest, and ive tried several times :(

... and, erm, and i must admit i read Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNabb and enjoyed it!! *Hangs head in shame and embarrasment*

OH COME ON ... am I the only person that will admit to reading pure trash?

:shock: :biggrin:

I love Nora Roberts ...
I read the Blaze series of Harlequin :confused: (lots of steam ... can't leave that one lying around for the impressionable kids to notice) :lol:

Those are my 'forget about the laundry and dishes ... I gotta check out for a while' stress fixers.

Now, I have read several classics: Pride & Prej, Wuthering Heights, 1984, To Kill A Mockingbird (not just in high school ... re-read as an adult and enjoyed them more), Started a Tale of Two Cities ... still working on that one, the usual Nicholas Sparks stuff, Tom Clancy stuff, and John Grisham ... Robin Cook ... you get the idea.

I know I'm not the only trash reader ... come on ... fess up ... :er:

Meysha said:
For JonMikal!

Seeing as though you're only litterary stimulation can be kids books - try these ones out by Jeannie Baker... http://www.jeanniebaker.com/ She's an amazing collage artist chikky who does these amazing kids books.

thanks Vicky. you know her personally?

Peanuts said:
Currently reading 1984, and I hate to disappoint you, but I can barely read through a few chapters at a time :|

But Charles Dickens is a definite favourite, but once again, not Tale of Two Cities. Nicholas Nickleby I prefer, as well as Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

I will get an official list made up later ;)

I'm reading through Jane Austen's stuff right now, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, etc. With the movie for Sense and Sensibility coming out soon, I thought I'd give her a reread before the movie taints me. :lmao:

No unfortunately I don't. I think she does come from around here though. I could be completely wrong but.

I've always loved her books and I used to just look at them for so long when I was little - and even now! It's amazing how she does those collages - and they're roughly life size in the books.

anicole said:

:lol: I'm with you :D

While I've read many "classics" lately it's been more of the following:

-Harlan Coben
-Jennifer Weiner
-Jodi Picoult
-Patricia Cornwell
-Robin Cook

Currently on my reading list are: The Essential Drucker (for a business class), Human Relations (another textbook) and The Birth Book by William and Martha Sears :D

JonMikal said:
...or childrens books :mrgreen:

We have bookshelves full of these! My nearly 6 year old can read now and will spend a good amount of time reading to his brother. It's nice to sit back and be read to for a change :D

anicole said:
OH COME ON ... am I the only person that will admit to reading pure trash?

:shock: :biggrin:

i'm so with you my cuz....!!! boom boom! :mrgreen:

i got your trash stuff...everything i read is dark..and fang-ish...( sounds like most of my relationships!!! :fangs: )

except someone mentioned nevil.....i loved lucifers hammer...killer book..and i tend to read survival stuff...( not like vote you off the island... i mean live or die by the seat of your pants kinda stuff...)

some true crimes and psychology thrillers... ( love getting into the minds of criminals...see where i am going wrong... :lol: )

aprilraven said:
i'm so with you my cuz....!!! boom boom! :mrgreen:

i got your trash stuff...everything i read is dark..and fang-ish...( sounds like most of my relationships!!! :fangs: )

except someone mentioned nevil.....i loved lucifers hammer...killer book..and i tend to read survival stuff...( not like vote you off the island... i mean live or die by the seat of your pants kinda stuff...)

some true crimes and psychology thrillers... ( love getting into the minds of criminals...see where i am going wrong... :lol: )

aprilraven: you're so bad....but not in a bad way. :confused: :p :lmao:

I try to read everyday. Some favorites.

All the Pretty Horses-Cormac McCarthey
For Whom the Bell Tolls-Hemmingway
Rabbit Run-John Updike
Portnoys Complaint-Philip Roth
Plain Song-Kent Harouf
Empire Falls-Richard Russo
The Song of Fire and Ice series from George R. R. Martin

Most reactions

Back