Anyone own GoPro stock?

I've stayed away from GoPro.
I just understand the metrics behind the rise except as a "fad". They have a niche, but one which can have alot of big entrenched competitors enter the marketplace for a piece of the pie. So I see heavy competition coming. Reminds me of the one Kids Play company that served food. Stock went crazy. Then McDonalds and BurgerKing started building Play Lands in their buildings and that company went out of business.

But I've been wrong before.

I do own Apple (entry at $100) stock. They've been buying back stock. And hopefully with a good 4th quarter their stock will go up. Some think it can reach $200 and keep going. I had it once at $6 just as Steve Jobs rejoined Apple.
And Facebook ($42 and other buys)
and bought into Zynga ZNGA just recently after a downturn .. new CEO from Microsoft driving new products .. hopefully alot of upside for a cheap stock. The stock did a bolt up after being on MadMoney late last year, then came back down. Now with new contracts it has good upside potential though is still lagging in profitability due to maintaining multiple expensive projects.

I would never buy stock in a company like gopro.

Ah yes, Discovery Zone.==> STREET SMARTS - A Lesson From the Playground - NYTimes.com

That is what GoPro reminds me of, from the above article

Now, shareholders might have avoided these troubles if, back when Discovery Zone was the Wunderkind of Wall Street, they had asked one question: Exactly what is it that this company is offering that anybody else couldn't copy? Think about it. Nobody can patent slides or ball bins or trampolines -- the main attractions at Discovery Zone. So if the company proved to be the moneymaker that Wall Street so clearly hoped for, every two-bit operator could open a competitor down the street. And they would be able to avoid whatever mistakes Discovery Zone made along the way as an industry trailblazer.
In the end, while Discovery Zone doesn't offer much profit, at least it provides an important lesson for investors: Companies that offer something readily copied should have plenty of playmates in the same business.

I was going to buy into Discovery Zone, until I saw the local Burger King construct a Playland.

Another thing I avoid is investing into something I'm passionate about. If a new bicycle company came out I'd avoid the stock like the plague, even though I might buy their product.

It's my 1st stock and I only bought 50 shares. I think I will be ok and watch it for a while.
Just learning, usually hubby is the investor. It's been so crazy for so long he hasn't done much of anything in it in a while.
Profits needed for some major camera /lens upgrade :)
Nancy

It's my 1st stock and I only bought 50 shares. I think I will be ok and watch it for a while.
Just learning, usually hubby is the investor. It's been so crazy for so long he hasn't done much of anything in it in a while.
Nancy
Good luck
Hopefully it will bounce back at the $50 level from it's high of a $100.

All I know about stocks I learned from "Trading Places".

I bought on its way down last week ($50) so am about break even at this point. If it gets close to its 62$ again, I Will be happy.
Watching Apple and STZ (Constellation) which is a beverage supplier. Found that totally by accident while looking at GoPro.
Am having fun at the moment.
Nancy

Besides all the basic stuff about investing (market, price, ability, management) this sentence below incorporates the really important question.

they had asked one question: Exactly what is it that this company is offering that anybody else couldn't copy? T

Being first with a good idea isn't as important as barriers to entry for competitors.

My buddy went in early and doubled his money and cashed out.

Don't invest with your hearts, invest with your brains.

Nancy
Good luck
Hopefully it will bounce back at the $50 level from it's high of a $100.

What can this company offer that you'd expect that high of stock trading?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back