Anyone pick up a D7500 yet?

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm toying with the idea of picking one up to backup my D500.. My D500 has been giving me some major AF issues lately. I have a D750 but have been underwhelmed with it because of what I shoot and I never seem to be close enough... I was kind of waiting to see PDR from photons to photos but Bill hasn't posted any data yet. Does anyone know if Nikon tweaked the sensor at all? Not having the ability to add a battery grip is kind of a major bummer for me, but maybe a third party one will come out. The body is pretty small too which is another bummer but at least the ISO button is in the right place..

Wow...crickets on this overnight... Normally a brand new Nikon APS-C body would already be in the hands of multiple TPF members, but the 7500 seems like it has not resonated with enthusiasts the waym thatsay, the D7200 did during its introduction period.

I dunno...no grip option seems like a PITA for a big-lens user: I LIKE a grip for better hand-hold with a larger or heavier lens on the camera.

I was planning going to wander over to Bestbuy this weekend and take ISO tests and see how it is.

What AF issues are you having with the D500?

D7200 = 765g. 136 x 107 x 76 mm
D7500 = 640g. 136 x 104 x 73 mm

They're shrinking the bodies. Isn't that the main complaint and one reason ppl like Mirrorless so much due to the smaller size ??

This is one reason I don't like the D8x0. The bodies are so large for someone who's used to smaller bodies. If I had a D5 I'd say the D8x0 was small. But coming up from smaller cameras it's large.

It's lighter too. I hate camera bodies that are light with heavy lenses. It feels so awkward.

It's lighter too. I hate camera bodies that are light with heavy lenses. It feels so awkward.
yeah they need to make the lenses lighter and more compact !!
and free ...

yeah they need to make the lenses lighter and more compact !!
and free ...

Yeah I want the 200-500 5.6 to be size of the Tamron 18-400 and weigh like a 50 1.8D.

I'm toying with the idea of picking one up to backup my D500.. My D500 has been giving me some major AF issues lately. I have a D750 but have been underwhelmed with it because of what I shoot and I never seem to be close enough... I was kind of waiting to see PDR from photons to photos but Bill hasn't posted any data yet. Does anyone know if Nikon tweaked the sensor at all? Not having the ability to add a battery grip is kind of a major bummer for me, but maybe a third party one will come out. The body is pretty small too which is another bummer but at least the ISO button is in the right place..
Sorry to hear that your D500 is misbehaving! From what I've read (so far) it appears that the sensor is pretty much identical between the D500 and the D7500 but the AF system in the D500 is supposed to be better (when it works!).

I was planning going to wander over to Bestbuy this weekend and take ISO tests and see how it is.

What AF issues are you having with the D500?

D7200 = 765g. 136 x 107 x 76 mm
D7500 = 640g. 136 x 104 x 73 mm

They're shrinking the bodies. Isn't that the main complaint and one reason ppl like Mirrorless so much due to the smaller size ??

This is one reason I don't like the D8x0. The bodies are so large for someone who's used to smaller bodies. If I had a D5 I'd say the D8x0 was small. But coming up from smaller cameras it's large.
I personally hate small cameras they don't balance well with the 500 F4 and 300 f2.8. I'm in no rush to get mirror less...

On simple targets like and Osprey flying against a blue sky, I have the bird no problem, then the AF shutters and brings the lens back to MFD and refuses to focus.. AF consistently has also really sucked lately...

Sorry to hear that your D500 is misbehaving! From what I've read (so far) it appears that the sensor is pretty much identical between the D500 and the D7500 but the AF system in the D500 is supposed to be better (when it works!).
There has been quite a bit of internet chatter that the D500 dynamic AF modes have changed from previous bodies. I can attest to the fact that it has indeed and does not hold a target as well as previous bodies did. It tends to drift to backgrounds very quickly even with A3 set to 5..

The AF has been a large learning curve for me from the 39 & 51 pt systems.

I used 3D tracking on airplanes which were no problem, to a Hawk in the area which caused it more problems as it wasn't large enough object. But once it did catch on about 15 shots later it did okay.

I've found that the AF system really likes contrast. Whereas the D600 did really good AF without a bunch of contrast. The D750 in the middle between the two. The D500 simply does not like my 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D lens at all but AFs like crazy with the 80-200/2.8 AF-D. The focus is probably faster with my 80-200 than my (your) AF-S Tamron 150-600.

Also I've found I have to have the lenses on the more Limited Focus throw otherwise it tends to mess up the D500.

one could always glue a brick to the bottom of the D7500 ... :)

I used 3D tracking on airplanes which were no problem, to a Hawk in the area which caused it more problems as it wasn't large enough object. But once it did catch on about 15 shots later it did okay.

I've found that the AF system really likes contrast. Whereas the D600 did really good AF without a bunch of contrast. The D750 in the middle between the two. The D500 simply does not like my 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D lens at all but AFs like crazy with the 80-200/2.8 AF-D. The focus is probably faster with my 80-200 than my (your) AF-S Tamron 150-600.

Also I've found I have to have the lenses on the more Limited Focus throw otherwise it tends to mess up the D500.

one could always glue a brick to the bottom of the D7500 ... :)

Haha, yeah..like the weights you can buy for tractors to weigh down the front.

Starting to get slightly off-topic from OP's original question, but I would absolutely agree, there was a bit of a learning curve with the D500, especially coming from an older lower-end body. So far, any AF issues I've had have been due to user error and just not tweaking the right settings, and not an issue with the body. If anything, some of my older lenses have found new life on a body that can actually track subjects effectively with them.

For what it's worth, my #1 factor in going with the D500 (over the D750 at the time) was to get the D5 AF system. I don't know if anyone has done an objective comparison between the D500 and D7500 AF yet, but I would guess that's still one of the key differentiators used to justify the higher price of the D500.

Well it comes down to the best camera for my needs so I just bought another D500 with a Sigma 18-35 If anyone is looking for a low shutter count d750 with a grip that is about 2 months old shoot me a PM..

Well it comes down to the best camera for my needs so I just bought another D500 with a Sigma 18-35 If anyone is looking for a low shutter count d750 with a grip that is about 2 months old shoot me a PM..

Why only have ONE,
when you can have TWO.
:victorious:

I am getting one next week replacing the D7200 for the FPS, Raw Buffer and improved AF over the D7200 that's already excellent.. Despite some down grades from the D7200 reviews are looking pretty good so far.

Most reactions

Back