Anyone remember the cartoonist Crump from the 60's

photojunky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.onlinephotogallery.com
This is a shot of Crump's brother in SF shot in the early 80's. I didn’t know it at the time but after seeing a documentary, I recognized him. I believe he is a convicted rapist.

Image244.jpg

It rubs the lotion
on it's skin, it does this whenever it's told!!.......

There was another thread for movie quotes. I thought it fit better here.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:no smile: no matter how many times i look at the pic i just can't get it over, he looks insane, his eyes freaks me out.....

Anyway its a good shot.

I've still got a box of the old comics somewhere. I looks like he imbibed WAY too many chemicals. Kind of got that Thorazine look to him.

photojunky said:
This is a shot of Crump's brother in SF shot in the early 80's.

First of all, the name is CRUM. The cartoonist you refer to is R. Crum. Real name: Robert Crumb. But in early days, he signed as R. Crum.

I believe he is a convicted rapist.

Do you "believe" or do you "know"? Do you have documentation? I don't think we should be putting out rumours on the net. If this was my site, I'd remove your post. Not my call, unfortunately.

More importantly, why put R. Crum's name up there in association with something someone else may have done, brother or not? Crum was a great cartoonist and neither he nor his art should be tainted by the behaviour (or looks) of someone else, whether real or imagined! Guilt by association? IMO, there's an ethical issue here, and it ain't R. Crum's.

Respectfully,

P.S. I agree with cropping the top of the pic down to the dark part past the metal bar. Also, he doesn't look particularly weird to me aside from the fact that most people (in this country, anyway) don't sit full lotus on the sidewalk in full view. BTW, if that is R. Crum's brother, it may indeed be the one who committed suicide. Why not let him rest in peace?

Here's a wonderul example of R. Crum's work called "A Short History of America":
http://www.crumbmuseum.com/history2.html

I knew it was a matter of time before someone made a comment like yours. He admitted to it in the documentry, but I dont know if he was convicted. See the movie.

Crum was a great cartoonist and neither he nor his art should be tainted by the behaviour (or looks) of someone else, whether real or imagined! Guilt by association? IMO, there's an ethical issue here, and it ain't R. Crum's.

Who said anythning about the artist himself? I love his old work, so 60's. His brother just happens to be a scumbag. Don't be so PC![/quote]

photojunky said:
I knew it was a matter of time before someone made a comment like yours. He admitted to it in the documentry, but Idont know if he was convicted. See the movie.

Actually, I've seen the documentary, some time ago and more than once.

ariadne said:
Crum was a great cartoonist and neither he nor his art should be tainted by the behaviour (or looks) of someone else, whether real or imagined! Guilt by association? IMO, there's an ethical issue here, and it ain't R. Crum's.

Who said anythning about the artist himself? I love his old work, so 60's. His brother just happens to be a scumbag. Don't be so PC![/quote]

photojunky said:
Anyone remember the cartoonist Crump from the 60's"
and
"This is a shot of Crump's brother in SF shot in the early 80's.
Isn't this mentioning the artist? And why was that necessary? Couldn't you just post the photo for c&c on it's own? Or did you feel the need to "rub shoulders with celebrity" by mentioning the name of the artist along with the pic. BTW, WHAT did you say the brother's (YOUR subject) name was?

Oh, and "Don't be so PC?" What? Can you say that in actual non-abbreviated English? I'm afraid I didn't understand. :roll:

Just one other thing: Did you ever get a signed release to publish this photo of this person? Just curious!

Oh, and "Don't be so PC?" What? Can you say that in actual non-abbreviated English? I'm afraid I didn't understand.
PC = Politically Correct. It's a pretty well known acronym.

Just one other thing: Did you ever get a signed release to publish this photo of this person? Just curious!
It's called fair use. You only need a model release to use it commercially.

voodoocat said:
Oh, and "Don't be so PC?" What? Can you say that in actual non-abbreviated English? I'm afraid I didn't understand.
voodoocat said:
PC = Politically Correct. It's a pretty well known acronym.

PC (a simple two-letter acronym) stands for many things. Oops, perhaps you didn't realize that. In any case, I like to be sure I know what I'm being called.

voodoocat said:
It's called fair use. You only need a model release to use it commercially.

Yep, the "model" release is just that--a RELEASE. And it must be signed! What a concept! *sigh*

BTW, are you photojunky's lawyer? Why are you responding for this person?

Never mind. I really don't need an answer. You know, this is such a shame. All I wanted to do was shed a little light on what I considered a very insensitive post. Silly me. Perhaps it's not worth the effort as it seems it's not likely to change certain mean-spirited, opportunistic views (IMO, of course). So it goes--can't help tryin' sometimes, though.

You sure have a chip on your shoulder don't you? It'd be nice if you had a clue what you were talking about. Do photojournalists require a release for everyone they take a photo of? A model release is required ONLY when you intend to use it commercially.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back