Anyone Smoke Their Own Meat?

Derrel - Thanks for the great info! My husband and I have been thinking of getting a smoker, just can't decide what type to get.

I tried to smoke a turkey once........... couldn't keep the damn thing lit!!

:boogie:

Derrel - Thanks for the great info! My husband and I have been thinking of getting a smoker, just can't decide what type to get.

There are MANY types and prices of smokers. For a small,light, affordable, yet proven smoker, the Luhr Jensen Little Chief is a good value, and has been made for almost 50 years.http://i.walmartimages.com/i/mp/MP/10/00/70/37/MP10007037553_P255045_500X500.jpg Their larger Big Chief holds more, and cooks faster. Faster smoking is not necessarily an advantage. I have modified a Big Chief to use a Sunbeam gas grill as the heat source/chip burner and that works pretty well. At one time in the past, I owned three Little Chief smokers! I used to smoke 40 or so fish every year for about a ten year span.

Jack Whelan's book on smoking is pretty much an AMAZING resource and guidebook to ALL types of smoking and caring for meats, sausages, and fish. I learned a LOT from his book!

Smoking Salmon and Trout: Plus Canning, Freezing, Pickling and More by Jack Whelan | 9781550173024 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Most reactions

Back