Anyone use a monopod?

Chase

I am now benign!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotoforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious if any of you use monopods while shooting?

The benefit of using a tripod for most shots is pretty obvious, but tripods are more to carry and take longer to set up. Therefore, I was considering purchasing an inexpensive monopod that I can leave the camera mounted on while out shooting. Seems like a quick, easy and convenient way to improve picture quality.

Any pros/cons?

Thanks!

i thought about getting one and was looking into .. the hubby is trying to talk me out of it .. he doesnt think it works :lol: ... but it's still on my mind .. i may consider it in the future

My uncle bought me a slightly bent one for $50canadian (go figure).
Overall, for a short & light lens, a monopod will NOT help at all!

I've tried it on a 28mm, a 50mm, and 85mm and maybe at 85 it made a very very small difference when decreasing shutter speed, but it generally didn't help.

Most people I've talked to use it mainly for holding up a heavy lens for extended periods of times... like in a football game using a 400mm F2.8 or something. They say it helps a little with camera shake but its main purpose is so they don't get tired after holding a 6lb lens for 5minutes+.

Of course, I've never tried it myself with a big lens since I can't afford one... but it sounds logical.

A monopod will give you about an extra 2-3 stops in speed. So if you're shooting with a 50mm lens you could go down to 1/8-1/15th second. If you're shooting with a 200mm lens you could shoot at 1/30th of a second.

Now if they made one with a rifle up the middle......

Thanks KS, interesting stuff.
The "Photo Snaiper" looks typically Russian, built like a brick outhouse but functions reasonably well with zero finesse.
Did you try listening to the sound when it operates? My guess is that the mechanical tolerances approximate to a barn door!
However, it's likely that it works OK and might even be something you'd consider having around?

I used one at a air show once and I liked it alot. There was always somthing going on and I did not want to stay in the same spot, so I found it nice to just plant it and take the shot. I can also see using one on a hike.

mrsid99 said:
The "Photo Snaiper" looks typically Russian, built like a brick outhouse but functions reasonably well with zero finesse.
Did you try listening to the sound when it operates? My guess is that the mechanical tolerances approximate to a barn door!
However, it's likely that it works OK and might even be something you'd consider having around?

I did listen to it, and I agree with your quality assessment. Russian photo gear has a reputation of widely varying quality. I think it's neat collector-wise, but I have no interest in actually using one. The part where they have it checked out by a sniper rifle expert was interesting. It got me thinking that it wouldn't be that difficult to mount a camera on a wooden rifle stock and install a trigger operated cable release. I'd try to mount the camera more like a scope on a rifle. It seems to me about the only practical use for this sort of camera setup would be wildlife photography, particularly panning with flying birds. Check out the rest of that guy's site for lots of interesting cameras and links to interesting and odd cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back