Anyone use a Sigma 28mm 1.8 ???

hacksaw35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw a couple of mixed reviews on the Nikkor 28mm 2.8 and it is sold out on Adorama and B&H. Then I saw this Sigma that opens even wider, but there aren't any reviews on either site. Wondering if anyone has experience with this guy.

Nevermind...the reviews on fredmiranda.com tell me to steer clear of this.

check out sigma's 30/1.4. it's about the same price (i think) ~ $470. have heard nothing but good things about it.

Or the 24mm f2.8 Nikkor. That is an excellent design. Nikon has never made very good 28's except for the PC Nikkors. The 24, on the other hand is a pro classic.

I'll second the recommendation for the Sigma 30mm F1.4. It's a fantastically sharp lens.

My plan is to sell my Nikkor 17-55 2.8 lens and replace it with 2 lenses.
I have pretty much decided on the Nikkor 55-200VR lens.
How do you think the Sigma would compare to my 17-55 in overall quality of picture and build.

I've heard very good things about the 17-55 F2.8...it's probably much better than the 55-200 lens. As for how it compares to the 30mm F1.4...I don't know. I do know that the 30mm F1.4 is very very good.

the 55-200 vr is awful imo. i was playing with it at work the other day and i was very unimpressed. for one, it happened to be defective - when it focused, there was a really unpleasant whine from the motor. it's not that sharp. it's not fast. the build quality is poor - ALL plastic. it's not a very nice lens. i wouldn't advise you give up the 17-55 for a 55-200VR. the 17-55 is a nice effing lens.

build quality of the sigma 30/1.4 compared to the nikon 17-55/2.8? i doubt you'd see any significant differences, but i'd put my money on the 17-55 being a little more solid. in almost any case (ALMOST) nikon/canon will make a better lens than sigma. but, personally, if i was looking at a tele zoom, i'd probably buy sigma's 70-200 over nikon's. they're both super sharp, well built, but the sigma is a lot less expensive. i personally have it in my mind to buy the 30/1.4, mainly because it's a little faster than the 24/2.8 from nikon. and again, both are sharp, well built, relatively inexpensive.. but the sigma is faster.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I have decided to go with the...
Nikon 70-300 VR lens and the Sigma 17-70 macro.

Any more thoughts???

The 70-300 Vr is good up to 250mm but gets soft after that. If I had the 17-55mm 2.8 I would not let it get away from me, even if you have to wait a while to get more glass.

I agree with Freddie. Personally I would want to borrow and try those lenses (or indeed any other lens) before selling the 17-55mm f/2.8. The Sigma is probably good for what it is, but I suspect after using the constant f/2.8 Nikkor you may be disappointed.

My plan is to sell my Nikkor 17-55 2.8 lens and replace it with 2 lenses.
I have pretty much decided on the Nikkor 55-200VR lens.
How do you think the Sigma would compare to my 17-55 in overall quality of picture and build.

Seriously?

So the gist I'm getting from everyone is to not let go of the lens I've got...and save up and add the 70-300 VR later?

Did I mention that I am a poor college student...

i'm under the impression that you're getting rid of your midrange and using only a telephoto.

nonetheless, it's your equipment, you know what you need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back