Anyone use GIMP?

Gimp doesn't have none destructive editing tools.
Your workflow needs to be non-destructive.

If you work in new layers, with layer masks... you can do anything without destructing your image.

I can easily destruct an image in PS if I work the wrong way :)

Since I have never, no, not once, ever used PS, I'd bet a dollar that if i sat down with it, I'd say, "Damn! This is impossible!"

I tried Gimp years ago when I was poor and wanted a feature packed editing software for free. I couldn't get used to it. My problem was that I was way too used to Photoshop. I used Photoshop for years and liked that interface better. I had a lot of issues trying to figure out what the Gimp equivalent of certain tools was from Photoshop and found it very frustrating to have a tutorial open in one window and Gimp in another trying to figure it out. I ended up scraping money together and bought CS6 and was very happy I did. It really all comes down to preference. Feel comfortable using Gimp? Use Gimp. Feel comfortable using Photoshop? Use Photoshop. Both are great programs and take time to learn.

I downloaded Gimp for my desktop. I have always used photoshop and have it on my laptop, which is where I do all my editing. On the desktop I only "tried" using it for minor changes before I made any prints. It's not a program that I plan on learning but can see why people may get frustrated with it. I know I did, which is why it isn't on the desktop anymore. I can see that if someone puts in the time to learn it, as a free editing tool it should work fine.

I have been using Photoshop and lightroom for over 2 years now and about 2 months ago I came across gimp and have it a go and hated it I instantly uninstalled it and will never go back it is worth the $10 a month 110% I will never try anything else in the near future

Yup, I have used it for years. It's complicated to learn.. but does everything.

I have been using Affinity Photo on my Mac. It has a learning curve too but is non destructive. It is new to the market, only available for OSX. I love it

My main photo edit software was GIMP long time ago. But now it is Lightroom (LR). I bought the LR3 and then upgrade to 4 (still using 4). And I really like it. Over 9x% of the post processing work flow stop at LR since I do not need to launch PS from within LR.

As for GIMP, it has draw backs. However, it works and it is free. LR just make thing easier.

i use gimp off and on for bigger projects and works great for what i do now but at the same time it is very difficult to use. usually i have gimp on one monitor and youtube on the other to help me walk through what im trying to accomplish. i have never used lightroom or photoshop but plan to one day and hopefully they are easier.

i use gimp off and on for bigger projects and works great for what i do now but at the same time it is very difficult to use. usually i have gimp on one monitor and youtube on the other to help me walk through what im trying to accomplish. i have never used lightroom or photoshop but plan to one day and hopefully they are easier.

I've never used lightroom but we did have Photoshop in school. We had to use it so they gave us copies.

It's sort of like GIMP in that it has a very steep learning curve. GIMP is supposed to be somewhat similar to Photoshop. It was, years ago, when I used it. But no idea these days.

I don't know why people keep saying Gimp is difficult to use. It is every bit as easy to use as Photoshop (I have both), even if different.

Same here. Only that I don't have PS anymore on my computer.

The learning curve actually isn't more difficult in GIMP, it's just that Gimp looks a little different.
There's a larger margin between the icons. Slightly different menus with more options.
But it actually does 100% the same.
You can even make macros and program them with scheme or other languages.

I don't know why people keep saying Gimp is difficult to use. It is every bit as easy to use as Photoshop (I have both), even if different.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

Because they're PS snobs. They look down their noses at GIMP users because they spent a lot of money on PS.

Just like there's gear snobs that will snub a K1000 shooter because it's not a Leica. Or a Mamiya shooter because it's not a Hasselblad.

Bring out the Gimp

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back