Anyone used camera armor?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Clikon, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Clikon

Clikon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Has anyone used camera armor? I can't imagine dropping my camera, but with 3 girls 1,3 and 6 yrs always trying to trip me, I can't be too careful.

Any pros and cons to it?

Also, what about UV lens filters? Does anyone use those?

2. 31M0

31M0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use a UV lens filter, it's handy to have since it gets rid of some fuzziness when shooting out in the sun, I just keep it on my camera all the time though.

There's no con to a UV filter if you get a good one really, at least not as far as I know.

3. petey

petey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I keep thinking I need this, but haven't done it yet.

Let us know if it works well for you!

4. Clikon

Clikon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like, so far, since no one's mentioning it, that since I wear a helmet everywhere I go, I'll look fine with the camera armor on my camera.

5. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use clear glass "protector" filters but, obviously, they won't help if I drop the camera.

Contact the agent for your home-owners insurance policy. I pay an extra $40 per year for "scheduled" coverage for $2500 of my photo gear. Except for wear and tear, it's true "all risk" coverage. I get 100% replacement cost with no deductible if I drop the camera. In fact, the policy even covers "mysterious disappearance" (I don't know what happened - it was here a minute ago).

6. Clikon

Clikon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Really? Now that's something I wouldn't have thought of. I'll certainly have to look into it. I have Allied...wonder if they have something like that. I'll have to give them a call.

7. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have Allstate. I've had the scheduled coverage for quite some time. Never filed a claim but, as with pretty much all insurance, I'm paying for peace of mind.

8. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, I don't think I've updated my homeowner's insurance since "acquiring" so much photo gear. I'll have to give them a call too. :confused:

If you tend to treat your gear well and haven't had any accidents or mishaps in the past, I'd probably skip the camera armor stuff. It'll probably just get in the way. Plus I think very few people actually have this sort of stuff, and the ones that do are out in the field roughing it up while shooting and not online talking about it like we are. :lmao: I think this would qualify as one of those "if you have to ask, then NO" sort of deals. :mrgreen:

UV filters just for general protection are good to have. Better and easier to clean off dust, crud, fingerprints, or residue from a water droplet off the filter than it is the lens and risk damaging the lens' coating. On my cheaper lenses I don't worry about it so much, but my 17-55DX lens has at least a UV filter on it 100% of the time.