Anyone want to go window shopping?

Novajet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eades.ws
Next week, I'm going shopping, and I'd love some advice on some equipment. I'll have about $1600 to spend. I have a Digital Rebel with the lens that came with it, as well as a 50mm/f1.8. I also just purchased two studio strobe lights.

My wish list includes:
Flash (I've pretty much settled on the 550EX unless you can convince me otherwise)
Another lens (I shoot mainly pics of my kids, but will also be taking a photography course, so suggestions are welcome)
Background equipment and backdrops (are there good brands?)

What would you buy?

i would get a 135mm prime lens with as low an aperture as you can get it for the money. you will LOVE this focal length for portraits.

m
d

Don't worry about sounding ignorant yo! This is a place to learn about photography!

L Glass is Canon's top of the light "pro" level lenses. They use a higher quality glass and are coated to increase contrast even more and prevent color aboration. To sum it up they are the sharpest most acurate lenses you can get for Canon's :)

Thay make me do this :drool:

Zach :D

MDowdey said:
i would get a 135mm prime lens with as low an aperture as you can get it for the money. you will LOVE this focal length for portraits.

m
d

Wouldn't that that be a little too much with the crop factor on the Rebel?

Nova -
Do you have a monitor calibration outfit? If you work with your images on your computer, something like the Spyder really helps you get the same colors on your prints that you see on your monitor.

Good Luck!

steve817 said:

could be, never thought of that. but it is a good portrait lens none the less.

md

steve817 said:
I thought about that too. If 135 is the appropriate focal length for portraits, I think you might want to consider the 85mm 1.2 L or 85mm 1.8. With the crop factor of 1.6, it would be 136mm.

thats a heck of a suggestion, i didnt even think about the crop factor. thanks dan and steve!

md

steve817 said:

I use the Canon 70-200 IS L glass lens. Whether it would be too much with the crop factor completely depends on how much space you have. This is by far my favorite lens for outdoor portraits. I occasionally use indoors as well if I have the space.

Other lenses that I use are the Canon 50mm 1.8 and a Tokina 35-70mm.

As for backgrounds, I can't recall the name brand that we use, but you might check out ebay for some better deals.

I also use the 550 flash and love it.

Have fun shoppin :mrgreen:

Thanks, everyone!

I'm going with the 85mm 1.8, the 550EX flash, some background equipment, and maybe the Spyder thing (had never even heard of that before).

I have Photoshop CS, and I'm happy with my current camera for now (plus, I have many, many other things I need to buy before I look at new cameras).

Most reactions

Back