anyone willing to help and give cc

kelly5577

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i would love some help!
I have a crop canon t6i and shoot with a 50mm. the camera is terrible in low light and my house is not very bright. i am trying to do a lifestyle challenge where i post one picture a week. I shot this at 1.8 with 800 iso -- anything over 800 the picture is so grainy,,,

these pictures are sooo grainy or out of focus - is it the iso - or did i completely get so oof? How can I make my pictures sharp looking, crisp looking? PLease helP!

Attachments

• 26173875_10215471278475590_6869982974745513776_o.jpg
    26173875_10215471278475590_6869982974745513776_o.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 155
another

Attachments

• 26220866_10215471273075455_4486285367841761183_o.jpg
    26220866_10215471273075455_4486285367841761183_o.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 154
one more...

i appreciate any help/advice...
i am really wanting to learn this year

Attachments

• 26198002_10215471274635494_8091910543250128811_o.jpg
    26198002_10215471274635494_8091910543250128811_o.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 167
I don’t think these are overly noisy.

I put a Canon t4i (closest on the list) into an online depth of field calculator. with 50mm at f/1.8 and estimating your subject distance at 3 feet, you have a total depth of field of .07 feet.

That's a little more than 3/4 of an inch that will be in acceptable focus. You'll have to be really careful about your focus point(s), as not much else will be in focus.

F1.8 is very hard to control as the DOF is too shallow. I found it is more practical to use 4 or 5.6 for portrait. Add a off camera flash to add more light or increase the ISO. I normally use up to 1600.

Sent from my [device_name] using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Out of focus.

Also digital images have noise. Grain only happens with film.

Noise or grain is not the most important factor on a photo. If your image brings our emotion in people nobody will care about the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks...noise...got it!

I appreciate the feedback... so the reason it look the way it does is becasue they are way out of focus?

I did 1.8 for more light and blurred background.... I'm not sure how to get more light in..
So would an app of say 3.5 be a sharper image? I could bump the iso to 1600 and try that

yes if you want more of your child to be in focus then either stop down the lens to 3.5 or 4, and bump up the ISO or decrease the shutter speed if you can. Another option would be to back up a bit which should increase the depth of field.

yes if you want more of your child to be in focus then either stop down the lens to 3.5 or 4, and bump up the ISO or decrease the shutter speed if you can. Another option would be to back up a bit which should increase the depth of field.
Thank you so much. I just ordered a 24 mm lens so that will also help worth dof correct? I'm not even sure what dof is completely.... off to Google!

I just ordered a 24 mm lens so that will also help worth dof correct? I'm not even sure what dof is completely.... off to Google!
Depth Of Field. Is a concept you must understand, incl. how to manipulate it, if you are to achieve the results you wish.
As for the lens: That depends on what you hoped to achieve. To get a field of view like the shots you posted with a 24mm focal length you'll have to get closer . Generally speaking: Closer focusing distances (and wider apertures) lead to a more shallow depth of field.

kelly5577 said:
i would love some help!
I have a crop canon t6i and shoot with a 50mm. SNIP>> How can I make my pictures sharp looking, crisp looking? PLease helP!

Bouncing a shoe-mounted electronic flash unit off of the ceiling or off the walls, or off of a Rogue Flashbender would allow you to make crisp, sharp shots with your camera. Using f/1.8 to keep the ISO level below 800 is one issue; if you had electronic flash adding some supplemental lighting to the room, you could stop the lens down to say, f/4.8 or f/5.6 or f/6.3 and with the 50mm lens, you could get VERY crisp, well-focused shots with the 50mm lens.

Using flash this way, bounced, looks pretty nice, and the flash can be used as a MAIN source of light with the flash firing at full power levels or nearly full power at low ISO settings, OR simply as shadow fill-in lighting, with the flash at 1/4 to 1/16 power, and with the camera set to medium- to high-ISO settings. In either case, the flash can be made to look pretty close to ambient type lighting.

So would an app of say 3.5 be a sharper image?
Very possibly. Many lenses have a range of better performance, and few if any perform their best wide open. Stopping down a bit very often will improve the overall image quality.

I just ordered a 24 mm lens so that will also help worth dof correct? I'm not even sure what dof is completely.... off to Google!
Your sample photos are not "out of focus" so much as the physical space of what is in good focus is very thin. The depth of field is dependent on some variables that can be manipulated to improve the DOF.

A wider lens will help get more of the scene in good focus. So will stepping back, stopping down, and a larger sensor (camera specific). You're not planning to purchase a different camera, so ignore that one.

Here is a nifty web tool that will help you determine the DOF while you're setting up the shot:

Online Depth of Field Calculator

It's interactive, so just start plugging in your variables and watch how the DOF changes. See the effect that a wider lens will make.

Wow... Thank you! Is using this flash hard to learn and understand or a pretty simple concept? Would i google external flash for canon? If i shot at 4, 5, or 6 my photos would be clearer? I always thought bokeh wad something important... is that not the case? I really appreciate the advice

kelly5577 said:
i would love some help!
I have a crop canon t6i and shoot with a 50mm. SNIP>> How can I make my pictures sharp looking, crisp looking? PLease helP!

Bouncing a shoe-mounted electronic flash unit off of the ceiling or off the walls, or off of a Rogue Flashbender would allow you to make crisp, sharp shots with your camera. Using f/1.8 to keep the ISO level below 800 is one issue; if you had electronic flash adding some supplemental lighting to the room, you could stop the lens down to say, f/4.8 or f/5.6 or f/6.3 and with the 50mm lens, you could get VERY crisp, well-focused shots with the 50mm lens.

Using flash this way, bounced, looks pretty nice, and the flash can be used as a MAIN source of light with the flash firing at full power levels or nearly full power at low ISO settings, OR simply as shadow fill-in lighting, with the flash at 1/4 to 1/16 power, and with the camera set to medium- to high-ISO settings. In either case, the flash can be made to look pretty close to ambient type lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back