Anyone With A Digital Camera And Facebook Is A Pro

True, but unfortunately it seems there are 3 more that pop up for every one that gets eaten. :apologetic:

I've seen another disturbing trend. Customer A sees "Unknown Photographer" on FB, and hires them for shoot. Customer A has no knowledge of good or bad, receives prints, and they're better than customer's cell phone, so they post glowing report on "UP", on FB. Customer B see's this and the cycle continues. Eventually the "UP" is getting glowing reports, because even if the customer knows the photos are bad they're afraid to admit they've been had, and will post recommendations simply because everybody else "says" they're good.

This is rampant, I agree. All of the crappy cell phone photos have made the crappy dslr photos look better than they really are. As have the filters and trends toward either overly contrasty or overexposed “styles”.

But, on the other hand, from the consumer’s perspective, if they can’t tell the difference between a good photo and a poorly lit or overexposed or soft photo, then why should they pay more for something they don’t care about. If the super expensive perfume smells the same to you as the drug store bottle, would you pay more?

Mcdonalds sells billions of "hamburgers" everyday. NASCAR is is insanely popular. American Idol had like 10 seasons.

I think it's clear we have poor taste as a country.*

* avoiding the obvious example of a poor choice.

True, but unfortunately it seems there are 3 more that pop up for every one that gets eaten. :apologetic:

I've seen another disturbing trend. Customer A sees "Unknown Photographer" on FB, and hires them for shoot. Customer A has no knowledge of good or bad, receives prints, and they're better than customer's cell phone, so they post glowing report on "UP", on FB. Customer B see's this and the cycle continues. Eventually the "UP" is getting glowing reports, because even if the customer knows the photos are bad they're afraid to admit they've been had, and will post recommendations simply because everybody else "says" they're good.

This is rampant, I agree. All of the crappy cell phone photos have made the crappy dslr photos look better than they really are. As have the filters and trends toward either overly contrasty or overexposed “styles”.

But, on the other hand, from the consumer’s perspective, if they can’t tell the difference between a good photo and a poorly lit or overexposed or soft photo, then why should they pay more for something they don’t care about. If the super expensive perfume smells the same to you as the drug store bottle, would you pay more?

Mcdonalds sells billions of "hamburgers" everyday. NASCAR is is insanely popular. American Idol had like 10 seasons.

I think it's clear we have poor taste as a country.*

* avoiding the obvious example of a poor choice.

American Idol is coming back.

But ... you are also saving yourself from an argument and people saying you're full of yourself.

hahaha pretty much. My work will speak for itself. If people hire some 16 year old girl with a camera over me, then obviously they didn't see the value in my work. I blame myself for not doing enough instead of blaming the 16 year old girl. You can't control what others do but you have plenty of choices in what you do.

Last edited:
My work will speak for itself. If people hire some 16 year old girl with a camera over me, then obviously they didn't see the value in my work.

Your statement made me think. Maybe, just maybe, they aren't taking away from the professional market, but instead they're tapping a market segment that wouldn't have hired a professional anyway, be it lack of money or cheapo.

Your statement made me think. Maybe, just maybe, they aren't taking away from the professional market, but instead they're tapping a market segment that wouldn't have hired a professional anyway, be it lack of money or cheapo.

You're absolutely right! There will always be Huyndai buyers and there will always Ferrari buyers. Be the Ferrari of your field.

People always worry about how new photographers charging next to nothing are ruining the market. Well, if clients cannot differentiate your work and a noob's work then you need to worry, but not about the noob but more about improving your work. For wedding photography, beautiful photos alone dont really bring me businesses. It's beyond just beautiful photos.

I worked in commercial/industrial photography for over 40 years. Two things were constant: there's always someone who'll do it cheaper and a good line of bs and a little talent will go farther than a lot of talent. So it's "same as it ever was" with regard to this question.

If you're any good, charge them money and teach them how to be better. Lot's of money there.

I got my first photo training about 40 years ago and I've shot tens of thousands of images (at least). I've got a very solid and practical understanding of the exposure triangle and rules of composition. My Flickr page has a few keepers and I've even been nominated for POTM before (thanks @Derrel )!

I was invited to do a professional gig recently. I said no way! Shooting for others is a whole different game. You can't come home with a card full of losers and just shrug and say 'oh well' - then reformat the card and hope for better tomorrow. You HAVE to produce great results. Failure is not an option.

I didn't decline because I didn't know enough.
I declined because I know too much! ;)

Props to those brave souls who put their livelihood and reputations on the line every day, dancing with that fickle mistress known as photography!

I never understood the value of Facebook. Never looked into it seriously. Tried it for a couple days. Didn't care for it. Took 30 days for the account to close!

Glad I read this thread. All the more reason for me to continue to not do Facebook:boogie:

Facebook is great for keeping in touch with family and friends that you don't see every day. Also good for sharing things with your community. The rest of it is a time suck.

If you're any good, charge them money and teach them how to be better. Lot's of money there.

I think there's more money to be made in running workshops than there is in photography itself.

I never understood the value of Facebook. Never looked into it seriously. Tried it for a couple days. Didn't care for it. Took 30 days for the account to close!

It think it does have value but only for some things. If it wasn't for Facebook I would not know what most of my cousin's children look like! I have 27 first cousins on my mom's side. All are married with kids. We're spread out all over the US and only get together once or twice a year, if that. Despite that, we're a close family and like to stay in touch. Facebook makes it easy. Even a few of the "younger" aunts and uncles are on FB. My 70 year old uncle uses it every day. His kids live in 3 different states.

I use it extensively for community things as well. Our softball league, my photo group, Princess's PTO, my local political affiliation, and lots of our local businesses all have FB pages and all have come in handy for finding info and keeping up with local events. I will say that the local community page can be a bit of a minefield but it's great for getting a recommendation for a reliable service person or finding out what events are coming up.

Come to think of it, my FB business page has been dead ever since they changed the algorithm. I kind of give up on my business FB page and just post stuff on my personal FB account. My IG page on the other hand is doing better than expected.

Come to think of it, my FB business page has been dead ever since they changed the algorithm. I kind of give up on my business FB page and just post stuff on my personal FB account. My IG page on the other hand is doing better than expected.

That's what I use my personal FB page for. I pretty much only share my photos. I very rarely participate in other people's posts unless I can't sleep or am dying of boredom.

Most reactions

Back