Anyone With A Digital Camera And Facebook Is A Pro

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by smoke665, Oct 2, 2017.

1. runnah

runnah Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Much like the plains of the Serengeti, the natural order of things will sort themselves out. Weaker photographer with be mauled and eaten by the stronger.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    True, but unfortunately it seems there are 3 more that pop up for every one that gets eaten. :apologetic:

I've seen another disturbing trend. Customer A sees "Unknown Photographer" on FB, and hires them for shoot. Customer A has no knowledge of good or bad, receives prints, and they're better than customer's cell phone, so they post glowing report on "UP", on FB. Customer B see's this and the cycle continues. Eventually the "UP" is getting glowing reports, because even if the customer knows the photos are bad they're afraid to admit they've been had, and will post recommendations simply because everybody else "says" they're good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

It's a very similar thing when trying to sell prints. People want them for cheap or FREE.

I hate it when I get contacted from someone who is interested in a print and I tell them the cost and they either don't respond or they respond in a negative manner. "Why does it have to be so expensive? All you did is press a button".

Yep, that's all I did is press button. Then why don't you do it?

• Like Like x 2
  4. runnah

Photos OK to edit
    True but along with being a quality photographer you also want quality customers. Chances are the folks who are sourcing these facebook pros are the ones who want everything for dirt cheap and will complain about what they get anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This is rampant, I agree. All of the crappy cell phone photos have made the crappy dslr photos look better than they really are. As have the filters and trends toward either overly contrasty or overexposed “styles”.

But, on the other hand, from the consumer’s perspective, if they can’t tell the difference between a good photo and a poorly lit or overexposed or soft photo, then why should they pay more for something they don’t care about. If the super expensive perfume smells the same to you as the drug store bottle, would you pay more?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

You are too kind. But ... you are also saving yourself from an argument and people saying you're full of yourself.

7. runnah

Photos OK to edit
    Mcdonalds sells billions of "hamburgers" everyday. NASCAR is is insanely popular. American Idol had like 10 seasons.

I think it's clear we have poor taste as a country.*

* avoiding the obvious example of a poor choice.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

American Idol is coming back.

9. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hahaha pretty much. My work will speak for itself. If people hire some 16 year old girl with a camera over me, then obviously they didn't see the value in my work. I blame myself for not doing enough instead of blaming the 16 year old girl. You can't control what others do but you have plenty of choices in what you do.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  10. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Your statement made me think. Maybe, just maybe, they aren't taking away from the professional market, but instead they're tapping a market segment that wouldn't have hired a professional anyway, be it lack of money or cheapo.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're absolutely right! There will always be Huyndai buyers and there will always Ferrari buyers. Be the Ferrari of your field.

People always worry about how new photographers charging next to nothing are ruining the market. Well, if clients cannot differentiate your work and a noob's work then you need to worry, but not about the noob but more about improving your work. For wedding photography, beautiful photos alone dont really bring me businesses. It's beyond just beautiful photos.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Glad I read this thread. All the more reason for me to continue to not do Facebook:boogie: