Anyone worked as a cruise photographer?

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Beached Bum, May 20, 2010.

1. Beached Bum

Beached Bum TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am CONSIDERING a job on cruise ship as a photographer- I've heard good and bad - I would like to hear from some people who have actually signed up and done this for a few months. Free time?, Able to go ashore to shoot your own pix?, Pay?, Conditions?, Able to use photos shot for your own portfolio?, Fun?, Your equipment or theirs?. Any real world info would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I seem to remember that several years ago, there was a member here who took a similar job. I don't remember what became of her.

I've heard some horror stories...stuff like not being able to leave the ship because they don't want the staff to abandon the ship, tight living quarters, boring work etc. But I think I've also heard that the job of Photographer on a ship like that, carries a bit more weight than just a kitchen worker or chamber maid etc....so you might get a few more privileges.

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dont know about cruise ships, but I was offered a job shooting for Club Med in Turks and Caicos.

It was a 6 month contract with the chance to be shipping to another Club Med afterwards. The job was not just taking pictures for fun, it was going up to couples and selling not only your services, but also getting them to buy photos. So its alot of up front talking with people and being one of those "pest" while people are on vacation.

I was taking classes at the time and my teacher was in Turks and Caicos. He was approached by the photographer, he looked at the work and then went to chat with the owner as the stuff the photographer was doing was sub-par. He didnt go to complain, he went to try and work out a business deal about offering the services of his students for the job. So he came to me and a few others.

Room and food was paid, and it was a small salary, pretty much minimum wage. Your days are out in the sun with your gear trying to sell your wares.

I would of been allowed to use my own gear, but I would have to clear the gear I had with the manager, as they didnt want someone with a P&S. They also had a few cameras to borrow, but I'm sure these weren't in the best of conditions.

All Club Med staff has to have a role in their nightly productions, and I'm not much of a dancer...

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Fell overboard?