Anything I can do in Photoshop to make this better?

Jdub777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Kind of new to photoshop and was wondering what I can do to make this image better. Feel free to edit and post!

IMG_37001.jpg

The camera shake blur kills it.

In photography, if the main subject isn't in focus, send it to the recycle bin.

It was a 20 second exposure. What was holding the camera?

If it was a tripod, you need a much better one. Plus you need to use every trick in the book on a long exposure:
  • mirror up
  • remote shutter release
  • weight bag on top of the camera
  • weight on the tripod hook
  • quality lens
  • windless environment.

Don't forget to turn off the automatic stabilizer. It will search for movement in a stationary shot and cause movement doing so.

sry but "amazing" is pushing it.
i was also going to mention the softness. tough to save, though keith did well minus the jpg artifacting.

I also dislike the chunk of land in the bottom left. To me that sort of throws the balance of the pic off. I would have maybe tried for a better angle somewhere else in the park. If this is all you had, then I guess you can't really argue it. If you have CS5, I would also use content aware healing brush to get rid of the bushes in the bottom center of the frame.

Ah, the bridge disappears towards the bottom of the image. :lol: Is that where the cars go off the bridge into the water?,....because that is what it looks like on my monitor. Morever the closest bridge support does not reach the water either.

Rather MAJOR weaknesses in any bridge image.

skieur

Ah, the bridge disappears towards the bottom of the image. :lol: Is that where the cars go off the bridge into the water?,....because that is what it looks like on my monitor. Morever the closest bridge support does not reach the water either.

skieur

unfortunetly, this was the best angle I could find. If i took one stpe closes there would be a fence in my way and one step to the left or right would cut the bridge off even more. This was also the best angle I could find to capture the bridge in this way. There is another spot I could have gone to but that would be looking up from under the bridge, didnt think it would be as cool.

The camera shake blur kills it.

In photography, if the main subject isn't in focus, send it to the recycle bin.

It was a 20 second exposure. What was holding the camera?

If it was a tripod, you need a much better one. Plus you need to use every trick in the book on a long exposure:
  • mirror up
  • remote shutter release
  • weight bag on top of the camera
  • weight on the tripod hook
  • quality lens
  • windless environment.

Ya it was a cheap $30 tripod and the wind on the bay is almost always blowing around 20mph (especially at night). Thanks for all those tips though, new news for me!

skieur

unfortunetly, this was the best angle I could find. If i took one stpe closes there would be a fence in my way and one step to the left or right would cut the bridge off even more. This was also the best angle I could find to capture the bridge in this way. There is another spot I could have gone to but that would be looking up from under the bridge, didnt think it would be as cool.

The answer to that problem is either to crop the image and/or clone more bridge onto the bottom in postprocessing. Bottom line is that a bridge shot that looks like the bridge has no support at one end has a major photographic problem.

skieur

You did a good job capturing the bridge and sky with the city lights in the background as a horizon line. If you wanted to you could crop the dark area out of the picture but why? It gives a contrast to the light and is not distracting at all. The softness of the scene is not something you could have really done much about it is the result of lighting a huge object in the absence of natural light. I bet that it looked almost exactly like the picture in real life, didn't it? I like it be happy with it.

You did a good job capturing the bridge and sky with the city lights in the background as a horizon line. If you wanted to you could crop the dark area out of the picture but why? It gives a contrast to the light and is not distracting at all. The softness of the scene is not something you could have really done much about it is the result of lighting a huge object in the absence of natural light. I bet that it looked almost exactly like the picture in real life, didn't it? I like it be happy with it.

It was pretty close, maybe not as orange but that would make sense because the exposure time was so high. I was trying to sharpen the image but it did little. I also tried to make it less orange and more of a darker red but my photoshop skills are lacking

Most reactions

New Topics

Back