Anything I can do in Photoshop to make this better?

Biggest thing to do is get a better tripod. I'd suggest spending at least $90-$100 if you want something of quality. Like KmH said get a somewhat heavy bag (usually camera bag will work if you have a bunch of stuff in it) and hang it from the hook, some kind of wind-blocker would be good (even if it's a good tree or sign post or something), something on *top* of the camera, 10-sec timer so you're not touching the camera at all (or remote), and Mirror lockup (so the mirror shake won't affect the picture).

Usually you don't need to employ all of these tactics, but I realize how windy it is there so you just might need it.

Biggest thing to do is get a better tripod. I'd suggest spending at least $90-$100 if you want something of quality. Like KmH said get a somewhat heavy bag (usually camera bag will work if you have a bunch of stuff in it) and hang it from the hook, some kind of wind-blocker would be good (even if it's a good tree or sign post or something), something on *top* of the camera, 10-sec timer so you're not touching the camera at all (or remote), and Mirror lockup (so the mirror shake won't affect the picture).

Usually you don't need to employ all of these tactics, but I realize how windy it is there so you just might need it.

Thanks man i will definetly invest in a better tripod and i didnt realize that so much went into taking a picture of this style. I really didnt think wind would be an issue when it comes to shaking the camera but i guess even the smallest movement can ruin a picture. any idea how much a timer may cost?

Thanks man i will definetly invest in a better tripod and i didnt realize that so much went into taking a picture of this style. I really didnt think wind would be an issue when it comes to shaking the camera but i guess even the smallest movement can ruin a picture. any idea how much a timer may cost?

A timer does not cost anything :), those are usually presets in your dslr, and a remote shutter release works wonders, i purchased one from amazon for 10 bucks and works like a dream :)

. I really didnt think wind would be an issue when it comes to shaking the camera but i guess even the smallest movement can ruin a picture. any idea how much a timer may cost?
It sounds like you haven't read your camera's users manual very closely and your camera may have features and capabilties you're not aware of.

. I really didnt think wind would be an issue when it comes to shaking the camera but i guess even the smallest movement can ruin a picture. any idea how much a timer may cost?
It sounds like you haven't read your camera's users manual very closely and your camera may have features and capabilties you're not aware of.

ya i really have no idea i just thought i would explore on my own. its a simple camera i think, pretty cheap...Canon EOS Rebel XSi Digital SLR

Look for a button with a picture of a clock on it. If your Canon's anything like my 300D (Digital Rebel), then it will cycle between 10 second timer, multi-shot, and nothing.

When the 10 second timer is selected (it's icon is displayed on the small LCD) and you press the shutter, the camera will wait ten seconds before taking the shot, giving you ample time to step away.

The camera shake blur kills it.

In photography, if the main subject isn't in focus, send it to the recycle bin.

It was a 20 second exposure. What was holding the camera?

If it was a tripod, you need a much better one. Plus you need to use every trick in the book on a long exposure:
  • mirror up
  • remote shutter release
  • weight bag on top of the camera
  • weight on the tripod hook
  • quality lens
  • windless environment.
Or, if you don't have a remote, you can put the camera on a 2 or 10 second timer. That way the shake you create when you push the button has time to stabilize before the shutter is fired. I learned this the hard way in Italy. I didn't have a tripod, so I got a ziploc bag, filled it with sand, and used it to balance my camera on for longer exposures. The only thing was I shook the camera just enough when pushing the button that the pictures were just blury enough to bug me. Here's one of them I definitely wish I had back. I sharpened it a good bit in photoshop.

695634681_722a61a407.jpg

Have learned alot myself from the comments, thank you.

The camera shake blur kills it.

In photography, if the main subject isn't in focus, send it to the recycle bin.

It was a 20 second exposure. What was holding the camera?

If it was a tripod, you need a much better one. Plus you need to use every trick in the book on a long exposure:
  • mirror up
  • remote shutter release
  • weight bag on top of the camera
  • weight on the tripod hook
  • quality lens
  • windless environment.
Or, if you don't have a remote, you can put the camera on a 2 or 10 second timer. That way the shake you create when you push the button has time to stabilize before the shutter is fired. I learned this the hard way in Italy. I didn't have a tripod, so I got a ziploc bag, filled it with sand, and used it to balance my camera on for longer exposures. The only thing was I shook the camera just enough when pushing the button that the pictures were just blury enough to bug me. Here's one of them I definitely wish I had back. I sharpened it a good bit in photoshop.

695634681_722a61a407.jpg

looks pretty perfect to me. thanks for the comments everyone, definitely learning more every day. Ill get some more pictures of the bridge hopefully sharper and a full shot, end to end. Would getting a fisheye lens help with this?

I like the idea of the picture but it would be a lot better if the focus as on target and not as blurry.

Most reactions

Back