Anything I can do to make this better?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Audell, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Audell

Audell TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm trying to put together my portfolio and I really like this photo and the concept but is there anything I can do differently?

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There's lots you can do differently, but it would help a LOT to know what the purpose of your portfolio is going to be, and if you're looking for suggestions on improving the image, or alternatives.

3. Audell

Audell TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I want to become a full-time photographer who shoots newborns, and families. I guess portrait style photography. I am trying to get into the Art Institute in my city and I need a pretty strong portfolio showcasing what I love to do as an artist.

I'm looking for suggestions on everything. How can I improve the image, other than buy a better camera? Is there a better way to shoot a photo and capture someone's shadow without getting your own shadow in the picture? Is there a way to edit the photo to make it better? etc etc

I am brand new to photography and I have a million ideas in my head but I'm not sure how to show them through a lense and make it look like a million bucks.

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, first off, you're probably going to have to settle for images that look like a $1.99; a million might be just a tad optimistic! ;)

As for what you do technically; well her dress is somewhat blown out on the back and the use of a couple of external lights and/or reflectors would have helped to reduce that. The ground is less than interesting; perhaps look for something a little more photogenic? Cobblestone, brick, or something with more attractive colours.

I really like the concept of this image, and shooting something like this without getting your own shadow in it is tough. Pose-wise, I think I would have had her right hand on the ground so that her fingers were touching her shadow-fingers. A bit cliche yes, but I think it might have made a stronger image.

That's about all I've got. I'm sure others will have some good suggestions.

~John

5. Audell

Audell TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Damnit, only $1.99 huh? haha

I will remember the technical tips for next time. I just sort of grabbed the camera when I saw her reaching for her shadow.

Trying to get my 15 month old to reach for her shadow with a certain finger might be next to impossible but I do understand what you're saying.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie TPF Noob!

I like the photo and the idea, but I'm not sure I like having the top of her head as a focal point. It just isn't particularly interesting. Perhaps somehow changing the angle a bit to get some of her face? I also agree that if her surroundings or the ground was more appealing, it would be better...like if it was brick, or maybe if she was reaching towards a reflection in water.

Anyways, I'd suggest just taking a ton of pictures of one idea like this, but with different angles and settings so you can have many to review. Experimenting always pays off with me.

Good luck with your portfolio!

7. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No offense, but I don't see this as portfolio worthy. The hotspot on her dress has already been mentioned, and the focus is soft in her hand, and it is just not an interesting color photograph because of the flat gray concrete. There is no complimentary colors; no exciting use of color. And I don't think it would look any better in black and white. You'd have to boost the contrast through the roof to get something that is acceptable. And there is hardly any texture because of where the sun is, so the image would just fall flat.

I like the concept, but for a portfolio piece you will probably want to invest more time and effort. As cute as the moment is, it just isn't enough.