Anything I should think of when using a 1600 B&W?

Axel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

This will be my first time taking pictures with a 1600 B&W (Fuji) in my N50 camera. I have shot three rolls before and none of them have turned out satifactiry to me apart from a few pictures. I have been limited as to the space where I have taken them too, but that should not be a problem now.

I wonder if there is anything I should think of when using such a fast film and B&W. Are there anything I can take advantage of right off hand?

Let me know please.

Thank you

jadin said:
Only thing I can think of is work with the grain. You will have it no matter what, use it to your advantage.

Thanks, but how do I take advantage of the grain?

And one more thing. I have tried to take "artistic" pictures which all have turned into garbage! It may have been just of a bottle of whiskey, a glass or just about anything, just to experiment. But they all turn out like crap. Is it necessary to have a small-medium format camera film for that purpose?

Take a look at this photo: http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=108995 It's extremely grainy but it works. Try to take photos of "rough" things, even things you wouldn't normally take photos of. Try to avoid sunsets and the like. Hopefully I'm making sense.

Do you need a medium format camera to get artistic? Absolutely not. It really doesn't matter what type of camera you use, virtually any camera can get quality photos, it really only matters how familiar you are with your camera.

Do you have any examples? That would definately make it easier to give pointers.

jadin said:
Take a look at this photo: http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=108995 It's extremely grainy but it works. Try to take photos of "rough" things, even things you wouldn't normally take photos of. Try to avoid sunsets and the like. Hopefully I'm making sense.

Do you need a medium format camera to get artistic? Absolutely not. It really doesn't matter what type of camera you use, virtually any camera can get quality photos, it really only matters how familiar you are with your camera.

Do you have any examples? That would definately make it easier to give pointers.

Thanks jadin,

I think you make sense. I wish I could show you some pictures of what I've taken, but I don't have a place to upload them from... If I could upload them from my machine, I could have shown you a few (not all, because I am really embarrassed or most of them!).

markc said:
What about them is unsatisfactory?

Everything from blurry to the motive! Bottles on a mattress, spice bottles in the kitchen water in a sink... CRAP! But there are a few that may be worth showing. I mean there are picture that I can see what is wrong with them and there are those that I may need input. In the case of the crappy pics, I don't need the input... LOL! I guess you understand what I mean.

Well for me personally, I can't stand when people 'setup' a scene for still life. It looks so unnatural. Even if that's how advertisers would do it. It just doesn't look right.

What I'd recommend is having them in their natural settings. Say on a table with dirty glasses next to them. Then remove anything that doesn't fit. (a coke can, stuff like that) and photograph the rest as is.

But that's just my personal preference.

I use Tri-X 400 pushed to 1600 as my 'standard film'
oftentimes I need the speed. I love the high contrast
look, but I hate the super-grainy look with normal
developers. With Diafine I get superb results...

2710142-lg.jpg

Tri-X @1600 developed in Diafine, tiny adjustments in Photoshop

thank you! but I can't take all the credit...

I have tried to get this look out of digital for a long time.
It is possible to get close - but I haven't found a way to get
the look of b/w film dead on (I'm using Photoshop
professionally since 1990)

this film/developer combo just does it for me
(Tri-X@1600/Diafine), actually the lens (Leica Summicron
is part of the game too) :roll:

doxx said:
I use Tri-X 400 pushed to 1600 as my 'standard film'
oftentimes I need the speed. I love the high contrast
look, but I hate the super-grainy look with normal
developers. With Diafine I get superb results...

2710142-lg.jpg

Tri-X @1600 developed in Diafine, tiny adjustments in Photoshop

WOW! I wish I'll be able to take such nice pictures!

Where would you develop the film? I live in Broklyn, NY, but I don't know where to develop around here. And I have heard that with these films, it should be a laboratory... Maybe that is why I am not happy with my previous rolls! LOL! Nah, I won't blame the developers. I think I have a lot to learn... :oops:

Where would you develop the film? I live in Broklyn, NY, but I don't know where to develop around here.

hey Axel, I develop my own film - it's really easy to do and
the whole process takes about 20 minutes. You don't need a
darkroom. Just a changing bag, a film tank and some chemicals.
Less than $100 get you started...

The best lab in NYC is http://www.duggal.com/ (pricey too)

doxx said:
Where would you develop the film? I live in Broklyn, NY, but I don't know where to develop around here.

The best lab in NYC is http://www.duggal.com/ (pricey too)

Definitely pricey, but I guess it is worth it when you know you have valuable pictures on the roll...

BTW, does the development of the film vary a lot from place to place? I thought that the development doesn't matter that much, but the prints are what differs depending on many factors. So I thought that if I develop the film at a local shop and get the prints too, and there is a picture that has turned out really good, then I could bring the negatives to a place like Duggal and get it re-printed... Or?

doxx said:

What products exactlydo you need? And how do I develop the film? I understand that once I have the negatives, it may be easy, but what about before that? Is there a site where it explains the steps?

TY

Most reactions

New Topics

Back