Aperture Dependant mode (A-dep) What is it?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just as the title says - I tried google and found very little info on this mode. So how does this mode operate - so far it seems to just be giving me the same exposure setting as my programed mode.

Just as the title says - I tried google and found very little info on this mode. So how does this mode operate - so far it seems to just be giving me the same exposure setting as my programed mode.
In Program mode the camera picks both the Aperture and Shutter Speed that it thinks best fit the shot. In Aperture Priority, you pick the Aperture to to get the DOF that you want and it picks the Shutter Speed to give the correct exposure. - TF

A-dep is supposed to be a mode where the camera will pick out the aperture it thinks you'll need to get the whole seen in focus-- it's a kind of 'group-shot' mode, I guess. It's a derivative of an older mode that let you pick two points, and have everything in between them be in focus. The A-dep mode doesn't really work very well, and it's worth noting that it is not included on 1 series cameras.

yeps - but thats aperture priority mode - I am talking about aperture dependant mode ;) :)

edit - ahh thanks tsaraleksi thinking on it could this be a decent macro auto mode? Since its pushing for depth of field in a shot and much of macro involves the attempt to maximise depth of field.

I dunno, I guess it might be but if you're going for maximum DoF why not just stop down yourself? Like I said, the original Dep mode was pretty neat, but A-dep doesn't seem to offer anything that aperture priority doesn't do already.

a-dep is the automatic depth of field (not aperture dependant) setting that basically uses all 9 focus points on canons to ensure that everything in the frame is in focus. basically its supposed to make life easier for you if you don't have a distance scale.

I believe it is more complicated than that. On older EOS (film) cameras such as the 50e, the DEP mode was a way to control the DOF in the following manner: you half pressed the shutter release when pointing at the closest point you wanted in focus, to the same thing for the farthest point you wanted in focus, recompose and shoot. The camera then set the focussing distance and aperture to get everything in focus between the 2 points you selected. I guess the A-DEP you are referring to is the same thiing as DEP mode on older cameras.

I have i used it, its kind of like auto mode where it seems to choose random AF points, i dont think you can select which AF points. Anyways, its a depth of field indicator maybe? I have used it, whatever blinks (af points) is it focus with that aperture. It uses different apertures and guesses what you want to be in focus. I think its sort of like auto, but it probably tries to get a wider depth of field than with auto.

I believe it is more complicated than that. On older EOS (film) cameras such as the 50e, the DEP mode was a way to control the DOF in the following manner: you half pressed the shutter release when pointing at the closest point you wanted in focus, to the same thing for the farthest point you wanted in focus, recompose and shoot. The camera then set the focussing distance and aperture to get everything in focus between the 2 points you selected. I guess the A-DEP you are referring to is the same thiing as DEP mode on older cameras.

Like I said, A-DEP is a derivative of that mode. The original DEP was last seen on the 1D and 1Ds, it was canned after that. A-DEP works by simply looking at the scene and concluding what aperture is needed to get everything in focus.

Like I said, A-DEP is a derivative of that mode. The original DEP was last seen on the 1D and 1Ds, it was canned after that. A-DEP works by simply looking at the scene and concluding what aperture is needed to get everything in focus.
I wouldn't say everything... But I bet it tried to get as much as it can :p

hmm the more I hear the less I like. I can see the use with being able to select the 2 points for depth and then it filling in the gap, but from what I have seen its only preselecting points on the AF and trying to get as many in focus and then in the depth of field as possible.
I just really don't see a controling point to this - nor even a use for a newer photographer looking for more automatic modes.
I guess landscape or macro it might have a use if your new to the game, but my 400D has preset modes for both of those already :)

I think it's like Eye-controlled-focus, a cool thing that Canon had on their film bodies that they dropped when they introduced their digital lines. It's a shame, really, because DEP mode was pretty neat for some applications.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back