Aperture impact on light picture

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by patav, Oct 23, 2007.

1. patav

patav TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good day, I wanted to take these pictures in order to get some feed back on some of my questions ( I have a Canon 40d with a 50mm 1.8):

1- I would of expected to have picture # 1 looking like picture # 2 in normal mode...why is the camera putting the aperture to 5

2- I would expected to have picture # 1 looking like picture # 2 when having big aperture due to the fact that depth of field would be close.

Let me know what you think...and how I should interpret this. Any links would be appreciated. regards

Picture 1:Mode: Normal ; Speed: 1/320 ; f5 ; FL: 50 mm ; ISO: 500 ; Exposure: Normal
    [​IMG]

Picture 2:Mode: Manual ; Speed: 1/400; f1.8 ; FL: 50 mm ; ISO: 500 ; Exposure: Normal

[​IMG]

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They're different because f1.8 is more than a full stop faster than f5, whereas 1/400 is not more than a full stop faster than 1/320. In fact, it's less than half a stop faster. Therefore, it's no wonder more light was let in and #2 came out brighter. That's very screwy.

3. patav

patav TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree but why would the "auto" mode set the f stop to 5.

regards

4. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Number 1 was shot in program mode, ie autoexposure. The lights are affecting the exposure - the metering system tries to set an exposure that would suit a middle grey scene. Number 2 was taken in full manual mode, with just over two stops more exposure (as Max says, -2/3 stop because of the shutter speed difference, +3 stops because of the aperture difference)*.

Number 2 has less depth of field than number 1, because of the wider aperture.

*You can also calculate this using the TV and AV data in the EXIF.
    For Number 1 TV + AV = 8.38 + 4.63 = 13.01
    For Number 2 TV + AV = 8.63 + 1.63 = 10.26
    Difference = 2.75 stops (there are mismatches between the exact TV, AV, shutter speed and aperture numbers, probably because of rounding)

Best,
    Helen

5. patav

patav TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you very much for all your help.