Aperture mode - not seeing DOF changes

Digital Demise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been trying to learn how to work more manually with my camera, so I have been trying shutter mode and aperture mode. In aperture mode, it seems like no matter what aperture I set the camera to, I get almost exactly the same depth of field. Do I need to set 2 variables to get the depth of field to change dramatically or something?

I have tried this both with my 18-55mm lens and my 55-250mm lens.

take a picture of something a little closeer, like a couple feet away. Get on your tripod, and go with the 18-55 @ 55, shoot a picture of your subject at f/5.6, and another at f/22. You'll see a difference, it will be obvious.

I have been trying to learn how to work more manually with my camera, so I have been trying shutter mode and aperture mode. In aperture mode, it seems like no matter what aperture I set the camera to, I get almost exactly the same depth of field. Do I need to set 2 variables to get the depth of field to change dramatically or something?

What are you talking about? The depth of field varies with the aperture setting, increasing as you stop down. How are you viewing?

Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

take a picture of something a little closeer, like a couple feet away. Get on your tripod, and go with the 18-55 @ 55, shoot a picture of your subject at f/5.6, and another at f/22. You'll see a difference, it will be obvious.

Thanks - I think distance may have been my problem. I was trying to take a photo of a bird on a tree about 25 feet away and blur out the busy background. I will try it with a subject that is closer.

dof is about fstop, but it also depends on what the focal length of the lens your using and you focusing distance.

be sure your focusing on the same spot using the same focal length and keep your feet in the same spot. nothing changes but the fstop.

i see you tried this with a bird, try it with something simple and that is not moving.

What are you talking about? The depth of field varies with the aperture setting, increasing as you stop down. How are you viewing?

I think my problem may be the distance to the subject. I will go try some closer subjects. When my subject was like 25 feet away, I would get almost no difference in the landscape background using f4.0 or f22.

I am going to go try a closer subject in a minute... But if I would like to take a photo of something that is 20-30 feet away and get a blurred background that is on the horizon, what would I have to do? Maybe a different lens with a different focal length?

I think my problem may be the distance to the subject. I will go try some closer subjects. When my subject was like 25 feet away, I would get almost no difference in the landscape background using f4.0 or f22.

No, you won't. That's correct.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back