Aperture on Canon FD lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by NEPats37, Mar 13, 2007.

1. NEPats37

NEPats37 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    When I take my Canon FD lens off the body and turn the aperture ring the diaphragm does not open or close. I became concerned because it does on my Nikon lens. In fact I also noticed on my FD lens when it is on the camera and I look at the lens from the front of the camera I also cannot see the diaphragm move. The only time I can see it move is with stopped down AE on. I did hear that what happens is the diaphragm opens or closes to the desired aperture when the shutter is released. And it does this so you can see through the view finder with as much light as possible. Is this correct or is there something wrong with my lens.
    Thanks

2. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's supposed to do that, that is why "stopped down" is called stopped down. It stops the lens down to the setting to give you a preview, if you look at the diaphragm when you release the shutter, it stops down in the pics anyway, it only stays open otherwise so you can see through the view finder better, and because the meter is set up to meter wide open.

3. kevin_c

kevin_c TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When you mount the lens on a body it will open to full aperture - The mechanics of the FD mount do this. When you trip the shutter it will 'stop-down' to the selected aperture.
    If you hold the camera up to the light (with the lens cap off), open the rear of the camera and look at the shutter curtain, if you select different apertures and fire the shutter you will see the different sized openings.

The Nikon mount is different as you say, you can open and close the aperture ring and the opening changes when the lens is off the camera.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is the same with the new Nikon AF-S G type lenses. The aperature is controlled electronically so if you remove the lens from the camera or remove the battery, the aperature blades will shut as nothing holds them open anymore.