aperture question

blakklabelx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, so i know to use a low f-stop number for dark places, and a high f-stop number for lighter places, but what about dof? does this make it impossible to get a non-blurry night time landscape shot, because im using a low F number?

it depends on what your shooting
DoF is all about perspective, a low f-number combined with... say... shooting a close-up pencil on a table will provide a low depth of field, that is a small amount of the photo will be in focus
but using a low f-number on... say... a whole street at night, where the goal is to have as much in focus as possible, will give you plenty of light while keeping everything in proper focus
as a general rule, the less the distance all the grounds (foreground, middleground, background) of the photo are from each other the less it is effected by DoF
if that makes sense hahah
im not the greatest at explaining it =P

If you want a long DOF landscape night shot (fairly small aperture) then you are going to need to lengthen your exposure time to make up for the smaller amount of light entering the camera. Set up for a long shutter speed on a tripod. You can take a night shot at f32 providing you allow a longer exposure.

Bifurcator,

An excellent illustration, but you might want to check your numbers.

ISO 800 is three stops from ISO 100 (100, 200, 400, 800)

F/8 is one stop from f/5.6 (see example 2) and f/16 is three stops from f/5.6 (see example 4)

1/30 is three stops from 1/4 (see example 3).

Best,
Helen

Good catch! I wasn't even thinking about it. I was just making up the numbers to convey the concept. :D You're right though, it looks funny if someone were to actually consider the examples. Thanks! (edited) :thumbup:

http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Text/TPFBS.txt

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back