Aperture/Shutter Speed

gender bombs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, well, to start off, let's just say setting the aperture and shutter speed has been a big problem for my photos. Sometimes, a lot of my photos come out dark. So I was just curious, which fstop should I use in a certain situation along with a certain shutter speed. I have a basic idea, but I always get caught up in this before I take my photo. I want it to be a simple step for me. So what Im looking for is: What fstop to use in (ie:sunny weather, dusk, dawn, cloudy weather, indoors, nighttime) that kind of stuff. I need to learn how to take clear, bright photos without having to use a flash. I appreciate it to anyone who replies. Thanks so much.

What camera are you using?
Are you using it on manual setting or one of the automatic exposure settings (P/AV/TV)?
Have you read the manual?
Can you post an example photo?

That's kind of like asking what clothes you should wear...it depends on things like the temperature and what you want to look like.

Your settings depend upon how much light there is and what you are trying to accomplish.

What camera are you using? Does it have a built-in light meter? (In an auto mode, does it give you an aperture and shutter speed when you press the button?) If so, there is your starting point. If not, get a light meter.

You can change you settings, but if you change one without changing the other...your exposure will vary from the neutral exposure that the meter is calibrated for...that's when you end up with too dark or too light.

So why would you change the settings? You would change the aperture to adjust the depth of field. Bigger aperture (smaller F number) means a shallower DOF....smaller aperture means deeper DOF.

You would change the shutter speed to freeze motion (by the subject or the camera)...fast shutter speed. Or to allow motion blur with a slow shutter speed.

So if you want to freeze motion with a faster shutter speed...you have to compensate with a wider aperture. If you want to have a deep DOF (small aperture) you have to compensate with a slow shutter (and possibly a tripod to eliminate camera shake)....but the starting point all comes down to the meter reading...and not usually a guess or a rule for certain situations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back