aperture under ten words

craig said:
Smaller the hole better the focus.

I don't understand how that works. I understand that you let less light in but I can't seem to understand why you get better focus with it. I know it's true but I don't understand the science behind it.

its like a faucet open it wide and the water sprays out.... shoot it through a tight hole and it come out in a tight streem. Light is like that a million times over. It hits everywhere overlapping though a big hole but is more focused through the small hole so it makes very sharp lines. That's how it has always be explained to me.

everything in photography is give and take, light management, tradeoffs....

gain here and lose something there.

Learning how and when to pick your battles. sometimes you can easily win without trying... sometimes the odds are stacked against you..

ZyxKor said:
I don't understand how that works. I understand that you let less light in but I can't seem to understand why you get better focus with it. I know it's true but I don't understand the science behind it.
you increase your depth of field. that is all. if your subject of the image is not well focussed, deep depth of field can help to still make it look sharp ... but that does not bring it into better focus ... focus is still off, just you dont realise since it is sharp ;)

as for th the easy explanation, the smaller your opening, the closer it gets to a pinhole. for a pinhole, lenses don't matter, it is always in focus for all subject distances. so the closer you get to that pinhole, the more depth of field you get.

if it gets very small though, diffraction becomes an issue, this plus the still finite size of the hole prevent the image to be ultra sharp in the end.

as for aperture, i would just say light hole ...

Most reactions

Back